Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
headlights

Headlights:

I have a 04 Monaco Monarch and recently noticed headlights cover are not clear. funny how you do not notice them during daylight!!Has anyone tried to "clear up" headlights, I have seen products on market but afraid I might screw things up. Help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
There are several brands of products for headlights. You should have no problem if you follow directions and keep in mind that you want to use slow rpm's if you use one with a buffer to prevent heat buildup. The more dull and/or yellow a lens is the more work it will take. What might be a good product for one vehicle may not do as well for a vehicle with a more severe problem. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2007 Monaco Monarch SVE. From the day I purchased it new the headlights on both sides were starting to cloud up.

I have been using Mequiar's Motorcycle Plastic Cleaner/Polish for clear plastics (comes in 6 ounce bottle). It removes the cloudiness. I have even used it on a 55 year old watch crystal to remove scratches.

I use a dry microfiber towel to lightly clean and rub sideways until it drys and rubs off. I Redo if needed to clear up completely.

Headlights are original 2005 Nissan Pathfinder and are expensive to buy new.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We had same problem - did the polishing thing - better. Doesn't last long! Presently trying to find real glass ones- called Monaco & they said ours are 92-95 Ford truck. Trying to now get those in glass.
Also fancy "European" look ones in glass - $$$$ but look like nice upgrade
Old 01-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amazon.com: TYC 20-1935-00 Ford Driver Side Headlight Assembly: Automotive
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
ccook129... it doesn't say they are GLASS... no point putting the same plastic in.... trying to find a glass replacement for them..... thanks though!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WalMart sells a product of "MOTHERS" for renewing headlamps. It comes with a buffing ball, the correct polish, and instructions for using in your small hand drill, either cordless or electric. If you can drill a hole, you can do it. Good luck,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
WalMart sells a product of "MOTHERS" for renewing headlamps. It comes with a buffing ball, the correct polish, and instructions for using in your small hand drill, either cordless or electric. If you can drill a hole, you can do it. Good luck,
David G.
Darn, I knew there was going to a catch in there some place.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Another method is to use VERY fine WET OR DRY sandpaper and sand the plastic cover to remove the yellowing. Then, use a polishing compound to buff the lens out clear. Just be sure to first put blue painters tape around the outside of the lens so you don't accidently scratch the paint.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Try these guys. I used this kit over a year ago and there is no more yellowing...at all!

When I was sanding each lense using a spray bottle to keep the lens wet...I could see the yellow coming off the lense. The results were well worth the time and money spent.

GlassyLite
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
David G.

As RV Wizard stated, use low speed with a buffing ball,etc & drill. I used the same as Justimagination suggested and guess what ? I burned a small area in the lens.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
All the major manufactures out there know there is a market for something to make your headlights better. So they are all jumping on board with a quick fix to a major problem when it comes to your headlights at night. We professional have been doing headlights for a few years now. As your Dad use to say there is only one way to do something and that is to do it right. The fixes at wal mart or other auto stores will only be short lived because you don't have the final treatment for your lights. That is where the professionals come in. For the general public to have their hands on some items is like giving a small child something they shouldn't be playing with. Don't get me wrong they are mostly all good remedies, but you have to keep on top of it. You are actually removing a layer of so called skin off your headlights. So if you don't put the same layer back on You will be rebuffing again and again.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Screw all that, take them to a body shop and have them clear coated!
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #14

I use Meguires Plastx and a random orbital polisher. My head lights are on a '03 motorhome. They look great. You will not burn the lens with a orbital polisher, thats the key. I do mine about every 6 months. Good luck with which ever way you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0020.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	491.8 KB
ID:	8774  
Attached Images

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote