Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heat Pump - No Electric Heat

My heat pump does not function when "Electric Heat" is selected at the control panel.

Whether I am connected to the 50amp box on the house or running the generator, the heat pump electric heat will not come on. Instead, the propane furnace will kick in and put out the heat. I have tried this over the past few days with outside temperatures ranging from 49 deg to 65 deg (today). Inside coach temperatures have been 2 - 4 deg above the outside temps. I have set the control panel thermostat to 10 - 15 deg above the outside temperatures with no luck having the electric heat to kick in. The propane furnace always starts.

The heat pump will function when fans are in "Auto"" and "Cool" is selected at the control panel. The heat pump works when either the generator is running or when the coach is plugged into the 50amp box. When the heat pump is running on "Cool," the panel will initially display a 14 amp draw, then after a few minutes, it will go up to 19, 20 and settle out at about 23 amps.

The heat pump air filters were replaced in 2008.

My TrueAir thermostat by Coleman-Mach was replaced in October 2008 by a large RV dealership in Ashland, VA. The coach has been parked continously at my residence since then. This is the 2nd time it has been replaced since I bought this coach new in 2003.

When switching from "Cool" to "Electric Heat" tests, I have always waited at least 15 minutes between tests and sometimes tried the "Electric Heat" test only.

I will be parked at home till 1 May before leaving on a 4-month trip.

Comments / suggestions please.
Drifterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drifterpilot,
On my heat pump set up the thermostat may only be set 4 degrees above the ambient coach temperature for the heat pump to come on. If the tstat is set more than 4 degrees above ambient temp the gas furnace will come on. I think that is standard for our units. Try it and see.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:48 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I looked at the manual.

You symptoms point to a faulty thermostat. Check the wiring at the thermostat for a loose connection. Pay particular attention to the white/black wire. That is the wire that controls the heat pump.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
J Griff and Tom N,

Thank you for your replies.

I adjusted my thermostat setting to 4 deg above coach ambient temperature and the heat pump started with the switch on "Electric Heat."

Tom N, I will keep in mind, for future reference, your suggestion on the white/black wire to the heat pump.

Thanks for your help.
Drifterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote