Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Heat Tape Plug In...

Hey all we live in Colorado as full timers and the winter seems to be appearing rather sooner than last year. I got around to insulating everything...but there is a problem...and I cant help but absolutely KNOW that this problem occurs elsewhere.
We are connected to city water. Getting cold outside. Heat taped the water hose. NO PLACE TO PLUG IT IN. Since electricians are heavily trained not to put electricity sources inches away from water sources, there are no outlets directly next to either the spigot or the city water connection on our RV. However the heat tape specifically instructs NOT to use extension cords, and have provided us with roughly four inches of extra wire to plug in to somewhere. How could they not have figured this out by now? You need slack in the cord to be able to run it somewhere if you cant use and EXTENSION CORD! How is everyone doing this?? Can i just cut the end (plug) off the heat tape and splice it (properly of course) INTO an extension cord? Would it work then??? Thanks

sparrowspecv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I would try the shortest extension cord you can get away with, and tape the connection to keep any moisture out.

95 Newmar Kountry Star, Spartan Chassis, Venice, Fla
C-PHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Use an extension cord. Protect against moisture using electrical tape, a baggie or other method. Keep connection above ground if possible.
jablair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Awesome thanks . The extension cord I have is 2.5' so hopefully its alright...
sparrowspecv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
I don't know what the current draw is for your heat tape, but if it is around 10+ amps I would use an etension cord with 12gauge wire.
Bumperfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is another idea- You could just fill your fresh water tank and eliminate the hose...would that work for you?
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
I just reverse the heat tape and in my utility bay I have a 110 outlet next to where the hose attaches. Plug the male end of plug from heat tape into this outlet. Run the electricity from the coach out to the spigot
gvisnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Plug it into the campgrounds power pedestal, not the rv....

There is a 50, 30, and a 20 right there, right?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
You could use 20 amp on power pedestal, but i use a 110 outlet in the Rv's utility bay. It is right next to where I attach the hose to bring water into the rv. The male end of the heat tape cord and the female end of the hose are right next to each other in my situation
gvisnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
What I Did for 2yrs Living In It

I don't have a 110v outlet in the bay. Also, I did NOT want to put more load on the regular power cable. I used a 4 ft extension cord designed for using with appliances (washer, etc). When on, the heat tapes draw about 5 amps. That's 1/6 of a 30 amp plug at the pedestal. Plugging into the 20 amp worked fine, and I didn't have to worry about possibly tripping a breaker from over-load with too many things on, like the little bathroom heater.

I used this, and covered the wrapped hose with those swim noodles for insulation.

M-D Building Products 64444 30-Foot Pipe Heating Cable with Thermostat - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Swim Noodle: Toys & Games

'94 Bounder 32h. Chevy V-8 44k miles and like new. Tow 4 down '85 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab
Retire in 1yr. 3mo. , but who's counting
mr300ce is offline   Reply With Quote