Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #1

Heaters electric or propane

Hello everyone I'm new at this and
I'm wondering for winter time are electric heaters or propane heaters better I do have a furnace and generator and my coach is a 30 amp but as far as Boon-dock camping on cold nights which one is best any input or opinions and brands thank you
Cola ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Well the propane furnace is close to 40,000 BTU. Portable electric heaters are about 5,000 BTU. If you are boondocking, you pretty much need to run the propane furnace. If you had 50 amp electric at a campground, running several electric heaters will save on propane used.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Boondocking but not running your genny, you'll have to use your propane furnace. Boondocking & running your genny, with a 30A coach, you can run your electric heat (if you have it) or some space heaters. However you will have to be sure the space heaters aren't on the same circuit & if on different circuits, aren't (combined) over your max amp allowance.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When dry camping without shore power, be aware the blower on the furnace uses 12v battery power. Watch your battery consumption. Our coach has two furnaces and we can block off the bedroom and run just the rear furnace at night. This reduces 12 volt and propane consumption considerably. Also a down comforter on the bed is a very good thing.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #5

I am a fan of this little ceramic heater. I have dogs and it is very safe with them in the MH.

Pelonis 5-Disc Ceramic Furnace | QC Supply
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Cola ny,
The electric heaters usually take 12 1/2 AMPS (on the high setting). With a 30 AMP coach you can see how you'll run out of electricity quickly with two heaters (on different breakers). For me, the electric heaters augment the propane furnace not replace it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
All of the above answers give good advice. Propane would be my call.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
My call is. Never boon-dock in a area that gets cold.
Has worked for me.

If in area it does get cold. Stay at a campground with full hook up and run my Heat pump. And never stay in a area that is too cold for the heat pump to work.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #9

If cost is your concern forget electric heat and running the genset. Propane @ $1.55G, gasoline @ $3.80G. Genset uses about 1/2-3/4G per hr, LP furnace uses less than 1/4G per hr., and will not be constantly running like genset.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If I have shore power, I prefer to use the CG's electricity. You can always run a heavy duty extension cord out of the RV to the pedistal to avoid over loading your 30A circuit.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #11

For us, it is a small electric heater to help on those time when it gets cold. There are times that we will be boon docking for up to three weeks and need a little 'extra' heat. For us it is easier to add diesel fuel then propane, so we will run the generator a little more. During hunting season, we set up several MH's/TT as a base camp. We also have some one that brings up supplies to us about half way through our stays, hence we can get diesel. Besides we also need more fuel for the ATV's that we have with us.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #12

We use an electric heater to take the chill out of the MH using the CGs power. We bought a Dyson heater/fan and it does a nice job of warming it up.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #13

[QUOTE="Cola ny;2012476"]Hello everyone I'm new at this and I'm wondering for winter time are electric heaters or propane heaters better I do have a furnace and generator and my coach is a 30 amp but as far as Boon-dock camping on cold nights which one is best any input or opinions and brands thank you[/QUOTE

Camco 57341 Olympian Wave-6 6000 BTU LP Gas Catalytic Heater

We use a propane/catalytic heater (above) for heat when off the grid. I plumbed a quick connect under the sink and tapped into coach propane. Have camped in zero degree weather comfortably with our Wave 6. When hooked up we use the coach heater. We have a 32' class c.
Sparky1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 AM   #14

We too use a propane ventless heater when boondocking, although I always crack a window. Like Sparky, we have a quick-connect in the kitchen that taps into the coach's tank. It uses about 1/2 to 3/4 pounds per hour and heats our 32' MH in temps down to the teens. When temps get below the teens for any length of time we supplement the ventless heater with the furnace in order to heat the wet bay areas. We also use an oil-filled heater when plugged in.

Tags
heater, propane