Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #1

Question heating or cooling going down the road ?

Do people have the gen. running for the AC driving down the road ???
How about driving in the cold ?? do people have the furnace on ??
trigud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #2

Yes, I do. Depending on the time of year.

Cory P.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yes to both. If the outside temp is over 40 degrees, we use the heat pumps.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Yes to both.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #5

Yes, sometimes you just have to dash air can't keep up.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was told by the Coachmen RV Rep to do just that. Run the genny and use the roof AC to cool the RV while driving.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum. Gen uses very little fuel. Cheaper to run gen than dash air, we use it also for heat pumps while traveling and coffee.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
YC1

electrIcal systems - chassIs — 9 180 2008 endeavor
Alternator
The function of the alternator is an electrical system voltage maintainer, not a battery charger. When the engine is operating, the alternator maintains electrical system voltage relative to a load, such as headlights and windshield wipers. When a heavy load is placed on the alternator, such as trying to charge dead house batteries, the operating temperature of the alternator will increase. Excess operating temperature of the alternator for extended periods of operation can lead to premature failure of the alternator.
The alternator replaces amp hours the chassis battery used to start the engine. The amount of charge the alternator sends to the chassis battery is dependent on the amount of time the engine is operated. Repeatedly starting the engine for short periods may not be enough operating time to adequately replace the amp hours the chassis battery uses to start the engine.
When traveling, keep an eye on the voltmeter in the dash area. Normal readings should be between 13 to 14.5 Volts DC. Voltage indications higher or lower indicate a potential problem with the charging system. If the alternator output drops below an acceptable level, a charge indication warning lamp will illuminate.
NOTE
The alternator is not designed to charge the house batteries from a complete discharge to a full state of charge. The alternator will maintain the battery charge during travel, supplying the DC current necessary to operate running lights or other DC loads.
If the house batteries are in a low state of charge, it is recommended to charge the house batteries with the inverter or an auxiliary battery charger before driving the motorhome.
CAUTION
Long-term use of the inverter to operate the microwave while in transit will damage the alternator. Use the generator to operate the microwave while in transit.

So use the generator to save the alternator.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi I just got a Motor home had a 5th wheel so alot of this is new to me. Can you use the TV when going down road from the inverter? Not the driver
Thanks Don.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D M View Post
Hi I just got a Motor home had a 5th wheel so alot of this is new to me. Can you use the TV when going down road from the inverter? Not the driver
Thanks Don.
Absolutely. However, if the driver can see the TV screen then it is illegal to do so. I am not saying whether I do or don't, but if I did I would be doing so while understanding the possible consequences.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't be surprised if the tv turns off when you put your RV in drive. The plugs that the tv uses are wired to do that.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigud View Post
Do people have the gen. running for the AC driving down the road ???
How about driving in the cold ?? do people have the furnace on ??
Yes and yes. That's why we have this thing, so we can be comfortable going down the road.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I unplug I start the genny and it runs until I plug in again. Genny has more hours on it than the RV engine does.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #14

Yes to both. When I leave her in February to head on down to florida, the furnace will run for three days straight. The day before I leave to warm up the coach and then until I get into warmer, hopefully by Georgia.

Tags
cooling, heating