RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
For those of us who are not lucky enough or smart enough to have purchased a coach with AquaHot heating or another type of diesel fired heat, we are constantly trying to conserve propane in the winter.
Funny you say that!

There's a long thread running on the 'Class A forum', where some say us with diesel hydronic heating systems, are inconsiderate A'wholes

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #16

Ok, so I think I will add to my two electric space heaters the little buddy. Never owned one. Do you suggest the little buddy or is there a bigger one? Is it too big? Anyone had both and know the difference? Anyone tried the Camco Wave catalytic heater? It has good reviews but very pricey.
Thanks for all the input.

iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
For those of us who are not lucky enough or smart enough to have purchased a coach with AquaHot heating or another type of diesel fired heat, we are constantly trying to conserve propane in the winter.

I am interested in successful ideas for alternate sources of heat in extreme cold conditions (snow, ice and sub freezing) as well as at near freezing temps. This includes at the campsite and when driving down the road when the furnace may or may not be as effective (I have a class A DP).

I have two space heaters that we use that are electric but they can only be used with hookups or a gen set.

What have you found to be successful and what has not worked? What are the pros and cons of different types of heat (propane space heaters, ceramic electric, diesel heaters, catalytic heaters) in your personal experience?

I envy those with diesel fired heaters but since I don't have it, what should I do since the propane burns up quickly and we are not sitting in the same location to hook up to an external propane tank? Suggestions based upon experience would be greatly appreciated! (by the way, driving south is not an acceptable answer )
Quote:
... (I have a class A DP) ...
I too have a DP w/o aquahot and have been accumulating the parts & strategy to install a "diesel air heater" to supplement the built-in propane heater feeding the existing ducts. It is vented and uses the abundant on-board fuel supply (will not use an unvented heater). If I were doing it as a replacement of the present furnace, it'd be done, but I want to use it as a supplement for redundancy.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Funny you say that!

There's a long thread running on the 'Class A forum', where some say us with diesel hydronic heating systems, are inconsiderate A'wholes
I wish i had a diesel heater! I'd be one of em
Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Ok, so I think I will add to my two electric space heaters the little buddy. Never owned one. Do you suggest the little buddy or is there a bigger one? Is it too big? Anyone had both and know the difference? Anyone tried the Camco Wave catalytic heater? It has good reviews but very pricey.
Thanks for all the input.
The little buddy is only equivalent to about 1000 watts, I believe, so less heat than a 1500 watt ceramic heater. Doubt that will do enough for your size coach.

Same company makes a bigger one (something like 15,000 BTU). I had looked into them and I think the bigger one could heat your RV maybe with some fans to move the air around.

While they say safe for indoor use, I just couldn't bring myself to use one, but I know there are tons of people using them in RVs and houses, so my concern probably wasn't founded. If you wind up with condensation issues, run the attic vent on low and maybe a dehumid should take care of it.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvjackson View Post
I too have a DP w/o aquahot and have been accumulating the parts & strategy to install a "diesel air heater" to supplement the built-in propane heater feeding the existing ducts. It is vented and uses the abundant on-board fuel supply (will not use an unvented heater). If I were doing it as a replacement of the present furnace, it'd be done, but I want to use it as a supplement for redundancy.
What parts? What strategy? Interesting
Old 01-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What would really work slick for you would be a Webasto or Espar diesel heater. There are also some knock off brands out there but the two brands mentioned above are spendy but have been around forever. Used a lot on boats and some semi tractors. They are a small efficient diesel forced air furnace. Not super high btu output but would work when boondocking and when it doesnít have enough heat output the propane furnace would supplement it. I have used a big buddy heater connected to a 30 pound tank with a hose running out the window. Never had a problem and it cranks out lots of heat. I keep a vent open and the window cracked where the hose goes through. I do turn it off at night.

A couple other thoughts. Take the inside plastic cover off your A.C. Unit and look up inside. Mine has almost no insulation between it and the great outdoors. I stuffed a couple of old pillows up in it and put the plastic cover back on. I could tell a difference right away. Another thing I did was buy some of the rubber interlocking squares and cover the floor with them. I cut them with a box cutter to fit around furniture etc. It made the floor much warmer. You can also cover some windows with foil faced bubble wrap but I have double pane windows so havenít bothered.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Funny you say that!

Just spent the last week and a half with night ranging from low 20s to low 30s, and my sister and BIL were giving me a hard time about my Oasis and the fact that it sounds like a diesel generator (vs. the Aquahot's turbine sound).

On the other hand, my BIL said he wished he had a diesel gennie sounding Oasis, since his Aquahot blew up on the third night, and he was making due with heated floors and his electric fireplace.

In cold weather, I don't think the Oasis/Aquahots sound much louder more annoying then propane furnaces, but where they really stand out is in the warmer nights when they are still running for hot water.

That said, I don't care how many people glare at my coach as they walk by, I would never want to be without an Oasis/Aquahot after now having one.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are in a full hookup site in warm weather, most just have the electric element(s) on during the night.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
What parts? What strategy? Interesting
The key part, beyond the heater itself, is the exhaust port to safely vent the very hot gas overboard. (https://www.amazon.com/marine-stainl...jAL&ref=plSrch)

Then comes finalizing a strategy to get the heater placed. Since I don't want to replace the existing furnace, I'd prefer to locate a space (I'm willing to give up) with access to the existing ducts, access to the exterior to safely vent the exhaust, and ready access to 12V power & fuel. Right now, in my rig, every location I've considered involves significant compromise, so I'm percolating for a good/safe solution.
gvjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvjackson View Post
The key part, beyond the heater itself, is the exhaust port to safely vent the very hot gas overboard. (https://www.amazon.com/marine-stainl...jAL&ref=plSrch)

Then comes finalizing a strategy to get the heater placed. Since I don't want to replace the existing furnace, I'd prefer to locate a space (I'm willing to give up) with access to the existing ducts, access to the exterior to safely vent the exhaust, and ready access to 12V power & fuel. Right now, in my rig, every location I've considered involves significant compromise, so I'm percolating for a good/safe solution.
Great ideas! I am interested to see what you end up doing. Please remember to share! I feel about like you do. I would like to keep the furnace just in case. Any way to put it inline with the furnace and use the same circulating system, fan and ductwork???
Old 01-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #26

Stop letting the cold in (as much as possible). Does that mean putting 10,000 janky seals around the door??? Not really. Does every person that comes into the heated area hold the door open, or not know how to make 'efficent trips' (ask the wife about that, then think about heat loss in the same manner). Are you covering the windows on the outside, or inside? Is air blowing under the rig? Is any moisture getting in? Do you have a dessicant bucket to soak up the excess moisture (not too much though). Do your snowy shoes get tapped off outside, or does it melt inside on the floor? Are you cabinet doors vented, or do they always stay shut? Do you optimize incoming sunlight, then block windows when the temp drops? Think about it in thermal loss and storage terms. Lining the inside (think reflectix inside of window) will do nothing, to prevent heat entry, but may slow down loss at night, you have to stop the cold from entering, and heat from exiting or acting like 400 mini fridges...

Best way to keep a thief out is to not let them in. Yes... You can go overboard, everyone needs some fresh air.
Houdoxi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:46 PM   #27

Also.. Look up at your roof. Do you see the fans? That 1/16th poly dome will transfer heat right out. The roof ac unit is designed to get rid of heat, is the top unit bagged? Do you have a cover for the inner?

Yep... It's a lot to think about. But some simple changes can make a huge difference. I don't cold weather, but the s/o did for years while working in the oilfields.

Houdoxi71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heating, propane, winter