Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #15

Our first long (two month) trip involved carrying 4 bikes. Only used two. It is simpler to carry two.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpasslew View Post
Our first long (two month) trip involved carrying 4 bikes. Only used two. It is simpler to carry two.
Yeah, thing is, I ride my bike every day. I don't really drive when I'm home except in unusual circumstances. So I'm kind of attached to my bikes as primary transportation, and I don't like to ride my mtb long distances on the road, or vice versa. We also have a trailer to tow for the kiddo. So we have a lot of bike crap.

Still, I may break down and economize on bikes.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:32 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You didn't say what kind of Class A, DP or gas. If it's a gas, add the second rack to the front of the coach. It's a little more difficult, but you can also add a front rack to a DP. My BIL did and carries his road bike up front.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
In the 80's, we did what Dutch Star Don recommended and had a hitch shop install a receiver on the front of our class-C Tioga. We usually carried 4 bikes on that rack, and several times actually carried 6 bikes! We have owned a class-A gasser for the past 10 years, and have not looked into doing the same type of front mounted hitch since the kiddos are all grown up, and we just carry 2 to 4 bikes now.

However, 2 of the bikes are lightweight, and the other 2 are recumbent bikes made by bike-E (not e-bike) that are significantly heavier. After watching the lever action caused by the length of the bike rack extension with all 4 of the bikes on the rack behind the moho, I am seriously considering getting a small trailer that will carry our jeep, the bikes, and all of our crap. Here is a site recommended by others on this forum:

Recreational & Motorsports Trailers

They make single and stacker type trailers, we could even bring along an ATV. More crap, more fun, eh? And the best part is it all stays inside.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:50 AM   #19

I have a splitter hitch on the MH. kuat rack with four bikes on top, 4000lb jeep on the lower with a tandem off the back of the jeep. 3 years and 60k miles with no issues. I will leave no bike behind. Let me know if you need more info.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I have a splitter hitch on the MH. kuat rack with four bikes on top, 4000lb jeep on the lower with a tandem off the back of the jeep. 3 years and 60k miles with no issues. I will leave no bike behind. Let me know if you need more info.
Well that's interesting to hear, Jake. Did you have to use any extenders for your tow bar?

After we put everything together at the shop last week, the "experts" there felt like it was just too long. We need the dual hitch, a drop, a 24" extender, and then the towbar. I put experts in quotation marks because they couldn't really articulate a reason in any technical sense, it was just their intuition that it was going to be too long. In their defense, it was a lot of independent pieces of steel hooked together, a la Rube Goldberg.

We compromised for now: I took the extension off the Kuat and shrunk back to a 12" extender. This means I can only put two bikes behind the MH. I do have the option to put another Kuat on the back of the toad.

So far it seems pretty stable to me, even with my heavy bikes. Here's what it looked like at the shop, minus the bike rack in the upper receiver:

I'm still very interested in getting all three/four bikes on the MH hitch. But I'm also not interested in over-torqueing the lower mechanism with a huge lever arm if the toad were to swing to one side for some reason. Sideloading the hitch equipment is not something that I can find much data on; it's certainly not something the manufacturers rate and try to make easy to measure in their specs.

Happy to hear further ideas or suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

Ben
Old 04-12-2015, 06:42 AM   #21

W are on the road today, but i will take a few photos later and post my set up.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #22

Here you go. Four bikes under the cover. I had the upper portion of the splitter added by a welder. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429023191.632749.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	91446Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429023215.308223.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	91447Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1429023232.652377.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	91448
Old 04-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #23

Hey Jake, thanks for those pics. It looks like you're okay with the tow bar being underneath the rack. For some reason, my guys seemed to think that wouldn't work. Maybe it's because the tow bar can articulate up and could slam into the bikes?

Also, what do you do with the tow bar when you disconnect? Do you just pull it off the rack?

Ben
Old 04-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #24

Well, inspired by Jake's tow bar overhang, and motivated by my desire to get going this weekend and not have to leave my third bike at home for six months, I went ahead and added the Kuat extension to the rack. I also conducted some careful tests to see how the car would behave with respect to the rack at sharp turns.

I believe it is possible that a very sharp turn (near the maximum) AND a big dip could theoretically cause the outside bottom corner of the rack to make contact with the hood of the car, but it would be very close. And, this car is already pretty beat up, so if I am dumb enough to get into that situation anyway, I guess I'll just put up with more scrapes or dents.

Here's the profile now:

Tags
toad