Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Hello and couple of new owner questions!

Thought I'd join and introduce myself to the forum!

I just recently purchased our families first motorhome -- a 1994 Thor Residency 35' class A. We've used and rented, but decided I found a deal I couldn't pass up. Our family does lots of traveling and activities that involve getting out and having fun, including an annual trip to Moab Utah for a week or more of jeeping.

This being my first motorhome, I am looking for some input and some information.

1.) Eventually, I would like to have a concrete pad poured and build a covered, roofed structure for it to stay under and out of the elements. For this year, (and maybe next) as the winter approaches -- that not really an option, so was looking at getting a cover for it. I'd like to think that a cover is a better option than leaving it out in the open and completely exposed, but I want to keep it in the best shape possible. It has been well taken care of to this point and I'd like to keep it that way. It has had very little to no delimitation of the fiberglass outsides. Would having a cover on it for the winter not allow it to breathe? or do they work well enough to allow some airflow?

I was looking at purchasing something like this:

As a new RV owner, whats the best option for me to keep my new RV in the best shape I can? and I'm also looking for suggestions for covers -- i'm into quality products, not just price point. the link to the cover above was more for demonstration purposes of WHAT I was looking for, not necessarily that exact one.

2.) Owner manuals. Is there any good known place I can find / download the manual(s) for my rig and various components of them? Or if there is no owners' manual -- is there any resource for downloading manuals for things like generator systems, fridge/freezers, hydraulic jacks, etc.

3.) winterizing and any other veteran nuggets you can instill on a new owner.

Thanks so much in advance for your replies!

firedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is one good source for RV appliance owner and service manuals:
Service Documents and Manuals
Others, like Onan, may have manuals on their own websites, or may sell them through an online store.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the forum!

Be sure to check out the Thor Owner's Forum here to get specifics on your Residency and get answers specific to it. There is also a couple of good blogs on winterizing both here and there.

Yes, protecting you investment requires additional investment. A cover like you are looking for will make a difference, but is a challenge to put on and take off by yourself. Putting in a cement pad will help, but just be sure to plan where it will be and what type of future garage or port you will put over it. Motorhomes also have a tendency to grow over time, so be sure you think about the future.

I am sure you will have many fun years with your new to you purchase!
Colorado '15 Winnebago Forza 34T w/MKZ hybrid toad
Gormleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, firedogg!

Concerning your question #3, use the search tool near the top of the page and type in "winterizing". You will find enough material to read that will take a week of Sundays to get thru. Lots of different ways to winterize, so simply ask away!

Not sure if "firedogg" is Fire Service related, if so there is a thread under "General Discussion" for that, check it out if you are interested.

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding covers.. I know many use them but if you have a fitted cover and any "Grit" gets under it, as the wind blows it will sandpaper your finish. I suggest against unless there is a overriding consideration like sea salt water.

The roofed "RV-PORT" is a good idea though, Does not touch the RV so no sandpaper effect and the roof protects.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #6
Thor's website under the owners section has a place to download manuals. I looked and there is only one manual for 1994 model year. It may be of some use. You will find that most of these manuals are generic in nature and not specific to your model.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Last year I bought a cover from Camping world. It is a well made cover and held up very well over the winter. Very happy with it.
ADCO Class A Designer Tyvek RV Cover - 34'1" to 37' - ADCO 32826 - RV Covers - Camping World
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
Thanks you guys! All good info, of which I will use!

Yes, the firedogg is fire service related I suppose...currently work for a department in the east Seattle metro area -- suburb of Seattle.

I am trying to envision a bigger picture view for the future...I would see a larger covered area with room for the motorhome, trailers and one of the two jeeps our family has...its just a matter of keeping within the budget and all. I have a couple of trees I see needing to come down before I would actually be able to put up some structure adjacent to the shop -- so in that interim, just trying to find the best solution!

Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming if there are more nuggets I need to know as a new owner!

firedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #9
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new to you rig. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.

Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is online now   Reply With Quote