Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

Helo-rust color stains on hood

I just purchased a 2016 Winnie View. I noticed the hood and front bumper have hundreds of rust colored spots all over it. The spots are pin head size and extremely difficult to remove. I've tried all the bug cleaners with no luck. Since it is new, I am reluctant to use harsh cleaner wax. I read that these spots may be caused by contaminants in the air or brake dust. If it is, I read about a product called IronX that is effective. Has anyone had this sort of problem and found a safe solution? Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #2

I would suggest trying dryer sheets to see if buffing them with damp dryer sheets removes any of them. Possibly bug remnants from delivering the MoHo. ST

Old 09-01-2016, 10:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesnest View Post
I just purchased a 2016 Winnie View. I noticed the hood and front bumper have hundreds of rust colored spots all over it. The spots are pin head size and extremely difficult to remove. I've tried all the bug cleaners with no luck. Since it is new, I am reluctant to use harsh cleaner wax. I read that these spots may be caused by contaminants in the air or brake dust. If it is, I read about a product called IronX that is effective. Has anyone had this sort of problem and found a safe solution? Thank you.

What your seeing is airborne metal shavings that come from either manufacturing or transportation when new. They are now electrostatically bonded to the paint. What you need is a chemical cleaner that breaks this bond. ZEP makes such a product. IronX maybe something similar. A good detailing shop should be familiar with this condition and may recommend a good product or try a new car dealer's cleanup department, I know they have this problem all the time. Also have you tried washing the area with white vinegar, it sometimes works quite well. Just don't let it sit on the paint. Wipe it on, wait 30 seconds, hose it off.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is called rail dust. Happens on some new cars and trucks (usually shows up on white). Caused by the fine metal shaving from train wheels rubbing on the tracks getting embedded in the fresh paint. They can be buffed out by you or an experienced detailer. An easy way to remove them is by getting yourself a clay bar kit available anywhere car wax and detail products are sold. Follow the directions and your rail dust will be gone. Very easy to use, just spray on a liquid wax or clay bar lubricating spray and rub down the entire area with the clay bar, flipping it often. Very little pressure is needed, just glide it over the surface. Works like magic. Ive run car and rv dealers for 30 years and we run into it a lot.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Metal shavings is the wrong word to use, more like microscopic iron particles.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on the clay bar. Works wonders!
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:13 PM   #7

Hi and thanks for all your help. I already tried the clay bar a couple times and it works but very slowly and would take me days. The bar doesn't remove all the spots and especially the ones on the clear protective film on the hood. I'm puzzled where these spots came from. My RV is a 2016 and when I brought it home the hood was spotless. I parked it at a friends house under a sycamore tree. I didn't find any rust colored spots other than on the front hood and bumper..almost all the horizontal areas. If the spots came from the tree they would be everywhere. I noticed today that the front end of the RV was near my friends' roof which is a rust colored roof. Do you think it is possible these stains came from the roof maybe after a rain? I did order Carpro IronX and hope that that product will work and is safe for my paint. Directions say that I must wax after using IronX. Do you have a recommendation for a good wax? Thanks for all your help.

Tags
rust