Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #1

Help Class C or Diesel Pusher

We bought a 36ft gulf stream Yellowstone about 3 weeks ago. We do not like it! It has tons of problems and is very uncomfortable. We are living in the RV while we rebuild our house. The dealer has said he will take it back if we buy something else. They have an 04 holiday rambler endeavor diesel pusher. It has 3 slides a table rather than a booth and 2 couches. It seems much roomier and is the same price we paid for the current MH. We would be giving up 2 beds which we don't necessarily need. The 04 has 34,000 miles the current 09 MH has 40,000.

So my questions
Can a diesel pusher go in the sand for dirt bike riding?

Are DP (diesel pushers) easier to drive?

Does a DP last longer.

What would be pros and cons?

Thanks!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
While I don't know from practical experience, a DP is pretty heavy and I would think it would not be wise to drive it onto sand. I know I wouldn't take mine.

Easier to drive .. it depends. They are much nicer on the highway, but take a lot of getting used to when trying to position it, more so than a C. It took me a little while to get comfortable driving a DP, and after 10k miles I don't consider myself an expert. The C you just get in and drive, it's like driving a u-haul.

Will it last longer? Well that probably is more in how you take care of it. The HR you mentioned has higher quality interior materials (cabinets, counters, fabrics) than the gulf stream so I would expect that it would wear better. The appliances are the same either way. The chassis for the DP is certainly more expensive and more complicated, and the drivetrain will go a lot of miles but you only benefit from that if you drive a lot of miles. You will be able to tow more weight and probably carry more stuff in the DP.

If I were you, I'd want to make sure the next coach fits my wants/needs/pocketbook before I take it home. My first coach was a super C. I didn't know what my needs were as I had never RV'd before. I kept it 2 years, then traded for a DP. The DP meets my needs much better.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #3

We want from a 31ft Winnie Class 'C' to our current 38' 2003 HR Endeavor. Yes it was a big jump but one they we grew into and have really enjoyed. We could not go back to a Class 'C', as we are now spoiled.
I taught CDL trainng so driving it was not an issue. We had to adjust where and how we boondock as this MH does not fit into the same places the Class 'C' did. If you plan on spending much time in the DP you will really enjoy the extra room the Endeavor has to offer.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stacy, make sure the Endeavor doesn't have "tons of problems" and seriously consider the swap. You didn't say what size the Endeavor is. I'm not sure what you mean by "Can a diesel pusher go in the sand for dirt bike riding?". It should go just about any place that you would take the C. Depending on the floor plan, I think your overall comfort level will be higher in the A.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc
Stacy, make sure the Endeavor doesn't have "tons of problems" and seriously consider the swap. You didn't say what size the Endeavor is. I'm not sure what you mean by "Can a diesel pusher go in the sand for dirt bike riding?". It should go just about any place that you would take the C. Depending on the floor plan, I think your overall comfort level will be higher in the A.
I am going to have an independent mechanic check it out. I don't know if you are familiar with California, but we often go dirt bike riding in places such as glamis (which I don't think we would even go in a C), but there are places with hard sand and soft sand like ocotillo wells. I know they bring huge dp out there, but wasn't sure of they get stuck easier than a C since they are lower to the ground. After our house is rebuilt, we will use it to camp. We don't do much sight seeing camping, but mostly motorcycle rising in the dirt.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc
It's a 38 ft
Old 04-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would never plan to take a 39' pusher into sand, unless you want a big towing bill to get the thing out of the sand. These were not meant to be off-road vehicels.

Ken
Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #8

Other than riding in the sand......... I can think of no reason not too...
The HR DP is a palace compared to your C-class......
Do it and never look back you will not be sorry.....
I like others sold my 40 ft DP and purchased a C-class.........
I sure do miss the comforts of the DP...

The DP is:
better built,
ride is better,
mileage is better,
longer lasting,
quality is better,
more room,
and if you decide:
resale is better.....
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not familiar with gulfstreams yellowstone, but at 36 feet it must be either a kodiak or a frieghtliner, what they call a super c?

So it's gonna be as big and heavy and truck like as a class a dp.

I'd stil go for it....
I just love the view out the windshield.
As much as i love the powertrain living 35 feet behind me.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #10

I would be concerned about ground clearance and the endeavor is deffenetly not a truck. If it is dusty no way remember the air cleaner is in the rear with all the dust.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #11
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
The decision for me would be a easy one go with the DP.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I would never plan to take a 39' pusher into sand, unless you want a big towing bill to get the thing out of the sand. These were not meant to be off-road vehicels.

Ken
What Ken said X2.

I don't know how "off road" one can get with most Class C rigs but I sure would never consider taking my DP any farther off road than those lawn area sites we loved while traveling through the mid west.

Generally speaking I would suggest jumping at the trade opportunity you describe but it just doesn't sound like a DP is the best match for your needs if you're not in to traveling a lot to see the sights.

Best of luck in what you decide.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #13

Having owned a travel trailer, 5th wheel camper and 2 gas class A motorhomes, I would not trade our current class A DP for any of them. The DP is by far the best ride, best mileage and best built of all the RV's we have owned. The class A's also have a much better view when driving as well. A DP will cost more for routine maintenance and some types of repairs, but I feel that they are built better than most of the other RV's. I am not trying to offend anyone, but I feel that most people would tell you that if you could get either a class C or a DP for the same price, go for the DP.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DP's are lower, especially the transmission pan, only about 6" clearance and they are expensive to repair. Also the differential is not locking so the tire with the least traction gets the power. Easy to get stuck even on wet grass.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote