Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #1

Unhappy Help - Crack Near Window

All,

I came back from a recent trip and found this (see pic) crack on the top of the large window on the side of the motorhome. It almost looks like the window is sagging but I'm not sure whats going on here.

I'm thinking I can pull the window and get a better look but that's gonna be a pain since it's so dang large - maybe 36"x36" - heavy.

Has anyone seen this before? How should I proceed?

It's an old RV and I'm quite handy and willing to do any work myself.

There has been some delam I wasn't aware of prior to purchase (ignorance on my part, deceitful seller).

Any advice is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_191658.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	172368  
EdwardoCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #2

Don't think that is a crack, looks like factory hole cut, window was not shimmed right on the bottom to raise the frame "to cover the hole cut". Or hole was cut wrong at factory. Take the screen and glass out of the window first (slide glass to Middle lift) pull bottom out first. Then unscrew the frame, take that out,clean all that silicon out. Put outside frame back in then shim it up untill frame covers entire hole. Take frame back out, tape or hot glue shims in place. The put bead of silicon around frameborder, carefully reinstall, permanently. The job done right should not see any silicon around the window!!! The silicon is hidden between the wall and window frame.
Done
Old 08-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #3

Oh that would make sense - the "cut" does look very clean. I've already pulled the overcab windows to seal them so I more or less know what to do here as well. Should I be using tome butyl between the frame and fiberglass?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardoCorn View Post
All,

I came back from a recent trip and found this (see pic) crack on the top of the large window on the side of the motorhome. It almost looks like the window is sagging but I'm not sure whats going on here.

I'm thinking I can pull the window and get a better look but that's gonna be a pain since it's so dang large - maybe 36"x36" - heavy.

Has anyone seen this before? How should I proceed?

It's an old RV and I'm quite handy and willing to do any work myself.

There has been some delam I wasn't aware of prior to purchase (ignorance on my part, deceitful seller).

Any advice is appreciated.
Plz update the signature area on your profile page to include info about your Rv.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd use the butyl tape when reinstalling but I wouldn't use the silicon. get the proper RV caulk most say not to use silicon on your RV. Proflex etc.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"EduardoCorn"......Hold on before you start pulling windows out. That is NOT a crack. When your window was originally installed, they used putty tape between the window and the coach. Once the window was installed, they used silicone along the top edge of the window and down the side a couple of inches......standard installation procedure.

What you're seeing is the silicone or Dicor, whichever they used, has cracked and the putty is oozing out. The putty will always collect dirt and turn black. All you need to do is remove the silicone and then use a dull knife around the edge of the window to remove the putty that has oozed out. Then use something like Oops to clean the fiberglass. When done, re-silicone the top and 2" down the side of the window.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #7

Sorry everyone it's been busy.

It's definitely not putty oozing out - the fiberglass is pulling away for sure. I was hoping you were right but it's not so.

So I have some Butyl tape on the way from Amazon - cheaper than local shops by half (!!) and once that comes in I'll start pulling the window and see what I'm dealing with. I'll update afterward

Thanks for all the advice so far!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Plz update the signature area on your profile page to include info about your Rv.
Done! (I think)
Old 08-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #9

So I just pulled the window and the problem is that the hole was cut incorrectly!!

There is no way this window will ever fill the hole completely. I'm pretty angry at the quality of the build, my ignorance when I purchased this and the absolute dishonesty of the RV sales company who didn't volunteer the extent of the delam which was pretty disgusting to see when I had the window out. Maybe 30% of the wall is solid.

Disgusting.

Sorry to rant.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to fill the holes around the window that the frame wont cover?

I'm thinking of using some sort of marine sealant and epoxy combo just to get a bit more time out of this thing before I strip it and sell off the parts.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #10

Can you shim up the window in the opening so the frame can be attached to solid wall all the way around?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Can you shim up the window in the opening so the frame can be attached to solid wall all the way around?
No - the hole is too large. Shockingly when the unit was built they would have simply covered the hole with some sort of caulking. It is a pretty close fit top to bottom but if the window is centered side to side there are cracks on both the left and right sides. It's like they cut it too large and just decided to go with it. I hope the original owner got a discount but that seems unlikely.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #12

If you can't beat em,, join em,,.Get a bigger window,,,and get the one you want. How do you know they didn't put the wrong window in from the start?
Old 08-19-2017, 10:09 PM   #13

If you choose to have a larger window built Home - Peninsula Glass Company has a Motion Window division that specializes in replacement RV windows. Check their site out they have measurement instructions, corner radius templates, dual or single pane, tint...the whole 9.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window