Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
rtk

HELP I'm a NB Water frozen propane on

turned off water outside cause it froze inside how do I keep it from freezing inside?
rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

Heat.

Now why not tell us some details so we can really help?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The hose outside will freeze quite quickly.

Leave the heat on.

How cold is it? What kind of unit?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

Leave inside faucet running or dripping. Of course it depends on how cold we are talking. Cold and extremely cold sustatained would be two different conversations.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #5

Open all cabinet doors, this allows air circulation to the plumbing that is above the floor. Run a small fan, pointed upwards, to circulate cooler air near the floor to the ceiling, where it mixes with warmer air, keeping the interior warmer with more even temperature throughout. Disconnect your frozen water hose, and use a different one to fill your fresh water tank, then disconnect, drain and store the hose. Operate self-contained while temperatures are below freezing. If your water pump is near an access door, place a blanket or insulation between them to help keep it from freezing. You may also place a work-light in that compartment to keep it warm enough to prevent freezing.
This might be inconvenient, however, it's much less aggravation than thawing or replacing freeze-damaged plumbing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
PIRIT Heated Water Hose

A year ago, I bit the bullet and got a PIRIT Heated water hose. It's worked great. At 8 degrees, the hose didn't freeze and water continued to flow freely.

The PIRIT hoses are expensive but well worth it. I haven't had to double wrap the water hose like others next to me have done.

I also coiled up a 12' heat strip in the wet bay and all my drain pipes and internal water lines stay warm. Ran it up through the sewer opening in the wet bay and dropped a small towel over the opening.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #7

X2 on Pirit heated hoses, well worth the money.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rtk,
Welcome to iRV2. The previous posts say it all. To provide proper advice more information is needed. Year, make and model of coach would be more than helpful. Until that happens, the heated water hose and keeping the cabinet doors (where plumbing resides) open should help quite a bit. Keeping the heat on (propane or electric furnace not roof mounted HVAC) goes without saying.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Leave inside faucet running or dripping. Of course it depends on how cold we are talking. Cold and extremely cold sustatained would be two different conversations.
How cold does make a difference, but I would NEVER leave water dripping/trickling in an rv. Here are two recent examples of why...

I was in Alabama during December. We had a few nights below freezing, maybe as cold as 28. Neighbor, new to rv's, left her water dripping in the bath tub. Tank dump valves closed. When the tub eventually filled up she could not open the frozen dump valve.

Later, similar weather, she did the same but maybe had the gray tank valve open. This time the park hydrant froze (probably after her hose froze) and had to be replaced. Parks in that area use the 3' tall drain-back type hydrants. If left on they MUST be insulated/heated in freezing weather.

A light bulb in those sensitive compartments/areas will keep the area above freezing. If all incoming and drain lines are underground leaving a faucet or two dripping may help in some climates. I wouldn't even consider it in an rv.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
If you leave a tap dripping your holding tank will fill up. If you leave the gray valve open the sewer hose will freeze and fill up with ice.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How cold is it? Most motor homes with fully enclosed tanks and pipes are rated to 20 degrees if the furnace is set to 70 or 72.

However enough wind can still freeze thigns

On my rig i the bay under the fresh tank is a string of C-9 Christmas Tree lights, the old fashion large "outdoor" type.. they do NOT get hot enough to melt plastic (15 watt lamps will but these do not) a Thermostat turns them on at 35 off at around 40,, Plugged into the far end of the string is a 100 watt CAGED (Plastic light bulb cage) lamp in the black/gray end of the compartment.. This gives me a few more degrees.

Water heater. DO NOT turn off (Unless you drain it) as.. Well at 120 degrees it does not freeze,
Old 02-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #12

IMO, don't spend the big bucks for a heated water hose that does not protect the faucet hose bib. Buy a heat-tape and enough foam pipe insulation to make your own. This way you may leave enough heat-tape exposed to also protect the CG hose bib and exposed water pipe.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Forgot to mention that I also coil up a 10' heat tape in the water meter box where we are. It too needs warming...

I figure what I had historically spent on 25' 5/8" water hose, plus 25' of heat tape, plus 25' of foam insulation, plus tape or wire ties to secure the insulation to the hose that was wrapped with heat tape, amounted to about the same as a Pirit Heated Hose and it's a heck of a lot less trouble.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:42 PM   #14

Other cold weather measures

As stated it becomes more important to run your rv furnace as the temperture becomes more extreme and supplement with portable heaters. leaving cabinets open, disconnect water, and sewer. You can also add Reflective Bubble Reflective Insulation to your windows. It makes a huge difference although it will make it dark inside. Also if your already froze up you should probably turn off water pump til you get thawed out.
Fredpaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, water