Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
HELP! kwikee power step not retracting

I've done all the searching and can't find an issue that resembles my own.

I have a 2008 Damon Outlaw that has a two step 32 series power step. the other day I was washing it and shortly there after the steps deployed and I happen to notice that when i started it up they didn't retract. This is what I've found so far:
The fuses are good.
I have 13.7vdc at the 4 pin plug going to the controller.
I cut the wires to the door switch so I can connect and disconnect them manually.
I pulled the motor and when I put 12vdc direct to the controller from a batter without having the plug connected to the coach end of the plug the motor turns as it should.
When I connect the plug (that definitely has 13.7vdc) all that I hear it a ticking from the control unit at about 1 second intervals.

So the motor works when I put 12vdc direct to the red lead on the controller plug but when I plug it in it doesn't work with the 12 volts coming in from the plug.

There must be some signal coming in from the plug that is telling it that it's not supposed to retract but this is where I'm stuck. Again, I bypassed the door switch and the grounds are solid.

Please help me through this.

Don
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would remove the ground wire connection at the controller and sand/clean the area and reconnect as a starting point, hopefully there is not a problem with the control unit.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The ground has been removed as a source of issue by disconnecting and connecting via a lead direct to the battery without success.

I suppose the controller could still be a problem even though I was able to get the motor to operate by putting power to the plug on the controller.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be a bad pin inside the connecter or if the ground was faulty it may have damaged the control unit by searching for a good ground. Check this tech tip section at RV-Parts plus Monthly RV Tech. Articles. RV Technical Tips.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
if the ground was faulty it may have damaged the control unit by searching for a good ground.
This sounds plausible. After washing it and finding the issue, I did find that the ground wire lugs were corroded so I crimped on new ends and reconnected them.

Everything so far is pointing to the control unit so I think since I have it out I'll drive it up to my local dealer and see if they can test it.

Thanks for your help. I was going nuts trying to get through this. Thank god it's in my driveway.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well as hard as I tried, after two days of trying everything I could find as a source of this problem including trying a new controller, no luck. The tech support at Thor, Mike B. was really helpful but after going through the Battery control center with a volt meter top to bottom and every fuse we could think of I still have no power at the plug from the ignition lockout.

I've pulled the clevis pin under the steps and secured them in the tucked away position so that we can take our trip on Friday as planned. When we return it goes to Camping World in Lakewood where they've always treated me fair and have done great work.

I'm sure it'll be something simple for them but for me it was just too much. Thanks for the help, I'll post the cause as soon as I find out.

Don
Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear it's not a simple repair.
Sounds like it could be a open circuit in a harness connector or faulty ignition switch.
Keep us posted on what actually repairs the problem.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #8

Kwikee has an excellent PDF on their website how to install and test each component of their step -- worth a look.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been there... Done that.

I found that my awning doesn't retract when the MH is started so there's something wrong in the ignition safety. I was on the phone with Thor tech support and we walked through every step checking ground, voltages and every fuse. Now it's down to a faulty ignition switch or a broken wire somewhere.

Tags
kwikee, power