Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2007, 06:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Hi,
Well we got our Monaco diplomat 38 PST and a week later my dad took a turn for the worse in health and mom can't care for him alone. So off we went to Ohio so I could stay, got here in 2 1/2 days and it was a great adventure. hubby flew home last Sunday morning.
All was going well with MH until my mom hired an electrician to put in a 30 amp plug for us in the basement. She didn't want us to use generator for a/c and it is HOT in Cleveland! All was done and electrician told me to plug in. I shut off a/c, fans, etc and then generator. I then plugged in--nothing. Long story short as I am SO upset---NOTHING in MH works on power--there is power coming in but no a/c for frig, no juice in outlets, etc. Generator does not work anything either!!
So dogs and I moved into house with very ill dad who needs tons of help........
I am afraid electician fried my MH!! He used 220 with 30 AMP. I told him I needed 30 AMP and why he used 220---
Suggestions greatly appreciated. I mean I cannot even use the 20 amp I was Using as NOTHING works.
Here is the real bummer---we just got this 10 days ago---I never learned how to drive it as the weather was so horrific driving here that hubby did not want me to learn that way.
So I am desperately looking for a mobile RV repair person who knows electronics OR someone who want to drive my Monaco to Camping World in Brunswick Ohio as I don't know where else to take it in the Cleveland area.
So any suggestions GREATLY appreciated.
Also do I need to post this to the general list or does it do that automatically?
THANK you!

Karen
Monaco Diplomat 2004 38 PST

mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi,
Well we got our Monaco diplomat 38 PST and a week later my dad took a turn for the worse in health and mom can't care for him alone. So off we went to Ohio so I could stay, got here in 2 1/2 days and it was a great adventure. hubby flew home last Sunday morning.
All was going well with MH until my mom hired an electrician to put in a 30 amp plug for us in the basement. She didn't want us to use generator for a/c and it is HOT in Cleveland! All was done and electrician told me to plug in. I shut off a/c, fans, etc and then generator. I then plugged in--nothing. Long story short as I am SO upset---NOTHING in MH works on power--there is power coming in but no a/c for frig, no juice in outlets, etc. Generator does not work anything either!!
So dogs and I moved into house with very ill dad who needs tons of help........
I am afraid electician fried my MH!! He used 220 with 30 AMP. I told him I needed 30 AMP and why he used 220---
Suggestions greatly appreciated. I mean I cannot even use the 20 amp I was Using as NOTHING works.
Here is the real bummer---we just got this 10 days ago---I never learned how to drive it as the weather was so horrific driving here that hubby did not want me to learn that way.
So I am desperately looking for a mobile RV repair person who knows electronics OR someone who want to drive my Monaco to Camping World in Brunswick Ohio as I don't know where else to take it in the Cleveland area.
So any suggestions GREATLY appreciated.
Also do I need to post this to the general list or does it do that automatically?
THANK you!

Karen
Monaco Diplomat 2004 38 PST

Old 08-29-2007, 06:41 PM   #3

Mom2mastiffs,
Hello and let me say I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.
This is just a thought. Mind you I'm no electrican but something happened to us while at Topsail in Florida shortly after we got our motorhome.
Check the inverter. There should be one or two resetable breakers on the front of it. Your inverter is probably in the rear most hatch on the passerger side. Not sure though on your mode. Sometimes if there is a power surge or you run to much stuff then the breakers will trip. Your air conditoners will probably make it marginal especially if you are trying to run two of them. Its worth a try but make sure everything is off before resetting the breakers.
Let us know.
Just so you know I rewired a ground fault receptacle in the bathroom when our inverter tripped a breaker as my wife was using the blow dryer. I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with Monaco tech support,took a trip to Home Depot and spent another 30 minutes rewiring the receptacle and found out it was just a tripped breaker I overlooked on the inverter. The breakers are kind of small but I did feel kind of silly after that one.
Hope its something simple for you.
Letsgoagain
Old 08-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Karen...
I have sent you a PM...
My thoughts and prayers are with you ...
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not an uncommon thing to have an electrician wire a 30 amp RV plug like an old 3 wire 240 volt plug instead of the 120 volts RV plug. Hopefully you only fried the converter and some electronics. If the A/C was off, it might be OK.

I will also link this over to the general motorhome forum for more exposure.

You should be able to get a capable electrician, make sure he is licensed out to see what is wrong and what he can do to get things fixed. You do need to call the original electrician and let him know he created a problem and all RV 30 amp plugs are 120 volts.

I'd offer the services of my brother, a master electrician, but he is too far away. He has a friend in east Texas that went through the same thing and he managed to get the trailer up and running so that he could stay in it and get it fixed a few days later. The electrician that did the hook up, was unlicensed and told them...sue him.

Ken
Old 08-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
877) 466-6226 is the 24 hour 800 number for Monaco ...if it is something as simple as Letsgoagain said... they might be able to walk you through it ...with that said ...Sacs reread your post...gennie starts...TRY the MONACO # ...it could be simple... here's hoping!!

TXiceman ...thanks for getting it out there on the main board!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Check the inverter. There should be one or two resetable breakers on the front of it. Your inverter is probably in the rear most hatch on the passerger side.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look tomorrow when it's light out. It is
interesting because the electrician checked and there was power coming into the
MH--all breakers were fine. He also checked with his voltmeter and it was
coming in 110 but the recepticles were dead as is frig, etc. Hubby said it
seemed like there might be a master shut off or something that
happened.............
Thank you and I'm praying that is the answer! I really need to focus on caring
for my dad.............
Karen
Old 08-29-2007, 07:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Check the inverter. There should be one or two resetable breakers on the front of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The more I read your post, I'm inclined to agree with the above quote. It sounds like the Gennie is actually firing up, yes??? You also say that there is power coming in, although if you are still plugged into that 30 amp he wired, unplug before you attempt to reset any breakers.
The breakers on the inverter are no bigger around than a dime and just stick out maybe a half inch when they pop. All you do is push them back in to reset. The main breakers in the panel (probably in the closet) should also be checked. Just reset all of them for drill.

Good luck, and do not plug back into 220 again!!!
Danged stupid electricians, musta thought it was an electric dryer..
Old 08-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
In the meantime...anyone out there know of a reputable electrician in the Cleveland Ohio area?
Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
All incoming power, be it from the gennie, batteries, or shore power has to pass through the inverter first. In these newer rigs, the converter, inverter, charger is all built into the same box.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MonacoMama:
877) 466-6226 is the 24 hour 800 number for Monaco ...

THANK you for good thoughts and prayers! I'll call them first thing in the am--it's 11 pm here and I want some natural light to see what is going on before I call them.
Dogs are settled in house and doing ok--they do like their "little House" as we call our MH.
This probably would not have been SO stressful if dad was not doing so poorly today.
My poor mom wanted to do a nice favor and put this in so we would have a/c and now this happened..............
Sigh--I know it all happens for a reason....
good news--we sold our travel trailer today!
Old 08-29-2007, 07:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Karen,

Call Monaco on the number MM just gave you. Tell them your situation, and what you are faced with at your location with no driver.

My guess is that they will offer you a lot of help. They may suggest some things for you to do to determine the extent of the damage. Then, they will be able to recommend a dealer in your location who can help - or maybe a moble repair service. If it has to be taken to a dealer, they will probably drive it for you.

If you're lucky, and everything was off, you may have only fried your inverter and EMS (if you even had an EMS). I'd call your insurance company also and see what help they can be with the bills, if any.

Also, if you paid a certifed electrician to do that job, he ought to take some responsibility, I would think. What happened to you is not unheard of, but any electrician worth his salt should have known better.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Karen, All the best to you and your family during these trying times.

If you look at a thread called "Newbie Question-Electically Challenged", you'll see a similar experience that I had. My problem was a ground developed when the 3 prong 30A plug was wired to 220v with incompatible adapters in the line to the coach.

$684 and a lot of angst later, it's all good now. I got my 4 prong 50A outlet working, replaced the inverter/charger, and the Smart Board on a GE microwave.

I hope you have better luck than me. Oh, and when I 'informed' the "MASTER" electrician that did the work, he refused to take responsibility. A judge will make the final determination.

Keep your chin up as best you can.

Full-timing by necessity. . . not choice.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It sounds like the Gennie is actually firing up, yes??? You also say that there is power coming in, although if you are still plugged into that 30 amp he wired, unplug before you attempt to reset any breakers.
The breakers on the inverter are no bigger around than a dime and just stick out maybe a half inch when they pop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes the generator fired up and there was power from that per the electrician with his volt meter. None of the electric breakers were off--we checked them first.

YES I am NOT happy with the electrician to say the least

Karen