Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Help Please, need wisdom on this one, rv was broken into!!!!

Aloha all,

First, I want to state my sincere gratitude to all who participate and assist me with this situation. I know everyone has a life and life is very busy, so thank you again!

My 2004 Fleetwood Revolution was broken into this past weekend. Busted LH side window glass and dead chassis batteries!

I'm happy not allot of things were broken but now I have 2 issues that are costly to remedy and would love some thoughts on where to start!

1) The onan diesel 7500 will start and run but will shutdown if a load is applied to it. Examples are shop vacuum to clean glass up and blow dryer in the bathroom for testing purposes. This will shut it down every-time!

2) The inverter has the same problem now! Load it up and it shuts off!

3) I plugged my honda 2000 to act as shore power and all appears well, in other words if the honda is on there appears to be no problems! All power receptacles work and blow dryer test and shop vacuum test pass with flying colors!!!

Here are some facts:

1) chassis batteries dead as a door nail. I charged them all day to allow the coach to start!
2) I checked voltage on the 4 x 6volt batteries and they total 12.5 volts which is not dead but ok
3) I turned on inverter with no load and the batteries drop voltage so fast the inverter errors and shuts off with blinking lights!
4) I checked voltage at batteries at 12.5 volts
5) I checked voltage at inverter DC input and it also is 12.5 volts
6) I turn on inverter and the volt drops fast well below 11 volts, again with no load and with the output breakers off!

So what gives?
Any ideas?
Tonight I was going to remove all my batteries, take them to the shop, test them, charge them, then re-install them! Does this seem like a good idea!!!
Or should I just give in and let the insurance company handle it?

Mahalo again for any help,

Jack

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #2

The first thing to do is get a full charge on the batteries. Reinstall the batteries and crank the generator and see if everything works. If all works that was your problem. If not,time to get the volt meter out and check wires going into and out of the inverter. Next the volts coming out of the generator power unit.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #3

trackman, thanks for your fast response!

trackman The first thing to do is get a full charge on the batteries. Reinstall the batteries and crank the generator and see if everything works. If all works that was your problem. If not,time to get the volt meter out and check wires going into and out of the inverter. Next the volts coming out of the generator power unit.

Trackman, I did verify voltage at the house batteries and it is indeed 12.5 volts!

Are you saying even though there is voltage at the batteries just take it all apart and bench charge it and reinstall it anyway?????
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Like others have stated charge the house batteries up could take a day
then check voltage when you turn the inverter on.
If they drop below 12.6 you need new house batteries.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
also, dont forget to check all battery terminals are clean and tight fitting! A loose terminal cable will definitely cause trouble
Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #6

Thanks again guys:

Wb7auk, Gadget63.

I will do just as you all recommended!

1) remove batteries to check and charge
2) clean all terminals and cables

I will post after I have reinstalled the batteries in the Coach!

P.s.

For me to understand, why would the batteries read 12.5 volts but on the inverter would drain to the point the inverter faults? Once inverter is turned off the batteries recover immediately to 12.5 volts....

I'm asking to learn!!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #7

Just because a battery has 12.6 volts doesn't necessarily mean the bat is good. You need to check amperage under a load. A good 12volt bat should show about 13.6 on a volt meter. Just went through the same thing with a 60 volt scissor lift, all 5 bats showed 13+ volts but when a load was applied, one would start dropping immediately. Took all to Auto zone and one bat had a bad cell and was essentially shorting the system .
Old 02-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Just because a battery has 12.6 volts doesn't necessarily mean the bat is good. You need to check amperage under a load. A good 12volt bat should show about 13.6 on a volt meter. Just went through the same thing with a 60 volt scissor lift, all 5 bats showed 13+ volts but when a load was applied, one would start dropping immediately. Took all to Auto zone and one bat had a bad cell and was essentially shorting the system .

Gotcha, so I will follow your lead and remove all 4 x 6volts batteries and check them with a hydrometer and charge them up!

Again, I do appreciate it!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #9

Batteries are toast...

The voltage reading indicates the state of charge, NOT THE AMOUNT...

If the Battery measures 12.8 without a load or charger on it, that is the static charge voltage of a fully charged Battery.

If you place a load and the voltage drops then the resistance of the Battery or net capacity is not correct.

8 AAA Batteries will give 12 volts but will not run the inverter.

The Battery may not be black toast...

Try charging for a few days and test.

If allowed to drop to such low voltage batteries can reverse voltage internally, or sulfate, both usually not recoverable.

Make sure batteries have charge source or leave off.

For alarm you could connect ONLY the alarm to Battery with solar to maintain charge.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #10

Jack, if all you need to do right now is get cleaned up make repairs you could always 'fudge it' with any good 12 volt battery, even booster cables off your car.

Most Onans have a "power in equals power out" system, put 12.5 volts to them you'll getv125 volts out, put 9 volts to them, you'll only get 90 volts out. Then the safety shuts them down to protect anything plugged in.

I've run my 4k Onan Micro Quiet on one of those portable booster packs in a pinch.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution View Post
Or should I just give in and let the insurance company handle it?

Mahalo again for any help,

Jack
I can't help with the tech stuff, but I do know a bit about insurance companies!

Whether or not you make a claim is of course up to you, BUT:

If you intend to involve your insurance company at all, you should report the incident ASAP. They don't like to be informed of this kind of thing "down the road"...
Old 02-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
If the batteries were discharged like you say to almost zero volts they can take
a surface charge but as stated can not provide the current required.
Sometimes and I mean sometimes one lucks out and can charge them up over
days to correct this but as a rule you end up with very weak batteries.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #13

Inverter or battery issue aside, what is the physical or electrical difference between running the coach on shore power (from the small Honda) via the transfer switch, and running it from the larger on-board generator via the transfer switch.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #14

depends on how the gennie is wired. When my chassis batteries were nearly gone, I could tie in the house batteris and start the gennie - but if I let up on the switch too soon, there wasn't enough voltage at whatever the current draw was at the time, and the ECU on the gennie would drop out and shut it off.

A honda doesn't require on-board current to work the engine auxiliaries.

Sounds weird, I know. You'd think that once the gennie is cruzin that it would take care of its own needs, but there are so many system draws, especially with dead batteries in the equation, that it just can't keep up.