Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2007, 03:48 AM   #1

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got a roof leaking water in the back bathroom. Coming in around the roof vent. I have a cover on my vent so the vent can be open even in bad weather and thats not the problem. We had this problem when we first bought the rv and they said it was leaking around the sun roof over the shower. And supposedly it was fixed but its leaking again. Any suggestions???
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2007, 03:48 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got a roof leaking water in the back bathroom. Coming in around the roof vent. I have a cover on my vent so the vent can be open even in bad weather and thats not the problem. We had this problem when we first bought the rv and they said it was leaking around the sun roof over the shower. And supposedly it was fixed but its leaking again. Any suggestions???
Old 12-21-2007, 04:22 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
I had the same problem a few years ago. With my rig (see below) the shower skylight cracked. Speaking to other owners they said common problem. So, since it was winter I covered the the roof. Then from the inside located the crack, drilled a small hole at the apex of the crack and epoxied it. That held for 2 years untail a storm eventually broke the skylight. It was an esy repair on a warm day. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi MTManLee,

Well finding where leaks are comming in can be tuff, does not have to be where you think due to slope of roof or angle you might be parked on! I would think the easiest thing to do would be start out by resealing around all roof vents and sunlights and see if this fixes the problem! Hope this helps some!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:49 AM   #5

Lee

Go to Lowes/HomeDepot and get some roof tape, the kind that is shinny on one side and the other a tar like side. I think this is better than the stuff out of the can. Cauking out of the tube usually does not work very well. Put all around the vent(s). Remove the cover before applying the tape. s/Toby
Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, I was thinking of buying a can of the roof stuff the rv stores sell and paint around the vent and the sunroof and see if that would seal it. Have not worked with that tape but will look at it as well.
I can see no leaks or cracks around the sky light, but that is where the dealer said the original leak was. Its coming down all around the rear vent. I will work around all three of my vents just to be safe. And the skylight and see what happens.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My friend in maine had a leak this summer in the skylight in the shower. He had to remove and re-seal the sky light. The caulking in his '06 Adventure had missed a corner. Problem solved.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #8

I recently had to replace both skylights in our coach. Ours is a 2003 and is kept inside when we are not travelling but the plastic that the skylight is made of was completely destroyed by the sun. Since we were on the road I went to the local Fleetwood delaer and ordered replacement domes and installed them, I have since had new covers made from smoked lexan and will use these for the next replacement. I got the lexan formed and cut at TAP Plastics in Sacramento.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:45 AM   #9

Lee

I forgot to tell you that I had a 2004 Vacationer with the bath and half and also had the leak over the vent in the full bath. The tape lets you cover the entire vent cut out with a tight fit. My problem with the can stuff the mfg put on craked/dried up. If you want double prtection, put the tape down first then the can stuff. Thats what Monaco does on the seams for the roof. I only used the tape and it fixed my problem. s/Toby
Old 12-23-2007, 03:21 AM   #10

If you have a fiberglass roof, you might also look at the joints between the roof and side walls. I thought my leak was the skylight or vent and it turned out to be the wall/roof interface.
dboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #11

Finding the source of a leak is difficult and guesswork - UNLESS- you locate a RV service center that uses a SealTec system. The cost is well worth the results. Our new 5er had a leak I noticed during a long hard rainstorm. When the dealer used the SealTec (some call it a LeakTec) system the technician found 3 leaks in addition to the 1 I told them about; and that 1 was over 14' from where water was seen inside.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #12

Sounds like this sytem would also qualify for scheduled PM, just like an annual physical. Can you give us an idea of how much this process costs?
BB501 is offline   Reply With Quote