Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 07:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
HELP!!! What just happened??

We've owned this 06 Safari Cheetah for a bit over a year. Moderate hail storm yesterday afternoon, and this morning I forund this on the driver's side midship.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0657.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	126445

Name:	IMG_0658.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	126446

Name:	IMG_0659.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	126447

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	126448

The screws in the picture are about 1 inch self drilling, and don't penetrate the anything but the sidewall, they don't penetrate the metal structure behind the waterline trim, if they do it's not by more than a few threads. The roof is recently resealed and shows no sign of leakage either inside or outside. The other side of this wall is the shower, but again, no sign of water leak anywhere. ANd there is no other sign of hail damage; no broken glass or plastic domes, and no dimples. What just happened??
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I have seen hail damage, but not like this. Sure it is not from someone trying to break in??
Old 05-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
I have seen hail damage, but not like this. Sure it is not from someone trying to break in??
Looks like old age to me!!! Good that it happened in your drive way rather than on the road. Get out the screw gun, some caulking and have fun. More than likely the surface the screws went in to just oxidized and cut loose from the weight of the hail pounding it or one of your grandkids tried to do a chin up on.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:54 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
All of my compartments are unlocked 24/7. If you want it, take it, just don't break the door. Not saying your hypothesis is without merit, criminals are knuckle-draggin stoopid as a general rule, but I hope they'd try the latch first. And the damage is on the side away from the house.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Just break out the glue with toothpicks and fill the holes then after it sets up get some better screws and reinstall trim. Make sure to put a little caulking to seal the holes that the screws goes in and look at the other side and repair if needed.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Looks like the corner of the slide grabbed the edge of the trim piece and pulled it away from the side of the rig. Did you put the slide out when the rig was in some sort of a bind.... Maybe off camber or uneven ground? You can see where the trim piece chipped the paint on the corner of the slide.... This damage may not have had anything to do with the hailstorm.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffbubba View Post
Looks like the corner of the slide grabbed the edge of the trim piece and pulled it away from the side of the rig.
Nope, I saw that too and thought, 'when was the last time I has the salon slide out?' Answer: over a week ago. We put the bedroom slides out to access the closets, but rarely put the salon slide out when home. I've been working on this thing since we got home from our last trip, and I walk around it almost daily. The damage wasn't there until after the hail storm. And the front of that waterline trin is under the slide gasket, so it would have been hard pressed to grab it. But I thought the same thing too. Great minds....mostly yours....
Old 05-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
How about a better subject line?
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote