Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Help with changing strike plate please

I've got a new motorhome and I need to change the strike plate. The handle has 2 guide pins above & below the spring loaded latch. The pins are smaller in diameter than the handle I'm removing.The strike plate is held in with 2 screws.
There is only about 1/2" of space inside the frame, in back of the strike plate--maybe I need to deepen that space by trying to chisel out some the insulation??
Do I have to remove the door frame in order to remove and then install the new strike?
Hopefully someone here has been there done that
tia, ron

rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 PM   #2

Is it an old Trimark lock?

Old 01-31-2014, 07:05 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, but it is the same style--like a 060-0650 or 060-1650. I don't think I can just remove the 2 screws and slide it up, or down enough to then slide it out of the opening.
Attached is a pix.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	55084  
Old 02-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #4

I had a MH where I had to change that. Took off the inside trim around the door, pried it back and was able to slip it out.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I had a MH where I had to change that. Took off the inside trim around the door, pried it back and was able to slip it out.
That's what worked for me also.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope I don't have to do that. On the inside, I have about an inch between the frame and a wall. The cover strip is about 3/4" wide, so I have about 1/4" to try and pry it off. The strip extends up and under the valance above the door---so I'd have to remove the shade and the valance to get the upper part of the strip off, and I don't see any nail or staple holes which would hold the strip on---maybe they used glue!

But there may be no other way--except to enlarge the slot on outside of the door frame. TriMark (060-1650 Motor Home Entrance Door Hardware | TriMark Corporation ) Tech Pub shows a slot 1/4" wide by 4 3/4" hi (really removing the corner)--with the strike plate being about 5 1/2". Perhaps the slot is that wide to wiggle the old one out and the new one in. There is a difference in the load (guide) pin diameter between the 0650 and the 1650 (the 0650 being smaller)--and the instructions say you must change strikers to comply with safety standards.
Thanks for the replies,
Ron