Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
KC

Help with Generator

Hello all, during this heat wave I ran my Gen set for a few hours on Sunday as we loading the RV and then drove it 1 hour. During the Hour drive the Generator turned it self off. I had a red flashing light on the control screen in RV. I have a Challenger 2015 37KT. I was able to restart the generator but it would turn off very quickly. After we got into our spot at the park we opened the compartment and pulled the access door off so the unit could cool. Maintenance was done 2 months ago. Any thoughts?

Thanks

KC
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #2

If you didn't get an overheat code from the gen set , I'd suspect fuel level in the tank .
Did you have over 1/3 tank of fuel ?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #3
KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If you didn't get an overheat code from the gen set , I'd suspect fuel level in the tank .
Did you have over 1/3 tank of fuel ?
3/4 of a tank
kc
Old 07-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Hello all, during this heat wave I ran my Gen set for a few hours on Sunday as we loading the RV and then drove it 1 hour. During the Hour drive the Generator turned it self off. I had a red flashing light on the control screen in RV. I have a Challenger 2015 37KT. I was able to restart the generator but it would turn off very quickly. After we got into our spot at the park we opened the compartment and pulled the access door off so the unit could cool. Maintenance was done 2 months ago. Any thoughts?

Thanks

KC
KC,
I don't know your model coach. May I ask what type/size/fuel type of gen you you're having issues with?
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
KC,
I don't know your model coach. May I ask what type/size/fuel type of gen you you're having issues with?
Scott

Onan 5.5 gas Gen set, mounted in a 2015 Thor Challenger 37KT.

KC
Old 07-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

some of the threads/discussions on this subject tend to lean toward a bad 'air flow' to the generator while driving...I'm not sure if it's true, since you would think that the opposite would hold true, but it could be part of the issue.
Side mounted generators might not have the luxury of the air flow we assume they should receive, as front mounted diesel generators do... it could be 'dirty' air!
RVinsurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:31 PM   #7

I believe there's also a thread or two somewhere on one of these forums and the causes of the "in motion" shutdowns was
1) a loose/exposed wire inside the casing that was shorting against the inside of the casing when the vehicle was underway, causing the shutdown.
2) a temperature sensor inside the air intake that was sensing an overheating condition (when the coach was driven in extreme heat) and causing the shutdown on a thermal error.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #8
KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I believe there's also a thread or two somewhere on one of these forums and the causes of the "in motion" shutdowns was
1) a loose/exposed wire inside the casing that was shorting against the inside of the casing when the vehicle was underway, causing the shutdown.
2) a temperature sensor inside the air intake that was sensing an overheating condition (when the coach was driven in extreme heat) and causing the shutdown on a thermal error.

I hope so.

kc
Old 07-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I like post#7 paragraph 2)
Old 07-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same problem last year as described in Post 7, item 2.

My Onan has a temperature sensor in the air filter compartment. (silver 'bullet' at the end of a thicker wire). If it stops again, you can pull that sensor out of the plastic housing and hold the end against a piece of ice for a few minutes. If it starts up and runs, that that is your problem.

When its hot out, I leave the sensor out of the air filter compartment so the ambient air can cool it as we drive.

Good luck!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
That sensor is doing its job. Lots of hot air off the pavement and engine being sucked up in the generator intake.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is not a temperature shut down on the 5.5, not really. There is no temp sensor in the intake, there is one in the muffler, meant to determine misfires NOT heat. It is hot, and heat is very likely your issue, what is called heat or hot air recirculation. This is caused by the heat discharge from the generator and possibly chassis engine being sucked into the generator intake. Yes, it can actually be worse while in motion. The usual shut down mechanism is boiling the gas in carb, FC 36. Stick your hand near where the air intake is underneath, should only feel cool air. It you are feeling hot air, need to duct it away. Experiment with cardboard ducts and deflectors, change to steel or aluminum if you find the right design.

Do not take off the generator door and run it. It is part of the pressurized cooling system. Permanent damage can occur., long term. Okay to open generator compartment to give it air, but leave the generator door and panels shut.

Installation manual gives the recirculation test specifics, but you can feel the hot air with your hand or a simple thermometer.
Corc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #13

Have you retrieved the fault code from the generator?
Old 07-03-2018, 09:23 AM   #14
KC

Hello all, I did not get the code. I did not think of it but I will if it happens on the drive home.

I only removed the cover once I got to my RV site, No need to run generator as we have 50 amps.

Thanks for all the help!!!

kc

PS. I think its still under warranty, Im taking it in for another issue in two weeks so Ill have the dealer look at it.

Tags
generator