Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2010, 10:05 PM   #1

Help with Power supply

I have a '96 Fleetwood Discovery and haven't had any problems with power. I recently arrived at a friends to visit and discovered the fridge was not working on LP. After plugging into a 20 amp service it still doesn't work and some of the coach power is not working. I have four new coach batteries which checked fine. Might this have something to do with the inverter...? Fuses and breakers checked out okay too. I'm not very literate on this stuff and would appreciate any possible solutions...
"Thanks for any advice"
time2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Does the refrigerator work in the electric mode when plugged into shore power or the generator running and it (refrigerator) is set in the "auto" mode? Does the light inside come on?

Who replaced the batteries and did this problem start after the batteries were replaced? If so look to be sure there was not a ground or other cable left off. Are the new batteries 12 volt each or 6 volt?
I had an incident one time where a fuse was blown and would work sometimes and after much current usage it would open; after cooling off it would make contact. Recheck the 12 volt distribution panel and you might just want to replace the main fuses and see what happens. The other possibility could be a bad ground for the non functioning circuits.
Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? If not, you should get a qualified person to check these things for you.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fridge uses 12vdc on gas.. On electric it may or may not be hooked to the GFCI line (No reason for it to be so connected but some coach makers do it that way)

Now... if your batteries are in the OFF position, 12 volt stuff won't work unless you ahve shore power and possibly not even then

If your batteries are toast, if the fuse and/or circuit breakers are blown/tripped,, Same effect

Also you said 'Some other stuff" Specify which other stuff please as it truly matters in diagnosis.

Last but not least a tripped breaker in the 120 volt box marked CONV or CONVERTER..> That will kill the batteries
Old 04-16-2010, 07:42 AM   #4

Who replaced the batteries and did this problem start after the batteries were replaced? If so look to be sure there was not a ground or other cable left off. Are the new batteries 12 volt each or 6 volt?
I had an incident one time where a fuse was blown and would work sometimes and after much current usage it would open; after cooling off it would make contact. Recheck the 12 volt distribution panel and you might just want to replace the main fuses and see what happens. The other possibility could be a bad ground for the non functioning circuits.
Thanks RV Wizard..., after further troubleshooting I found the problem, just don't know what to do next. The fuse for the fridge/galley keeps blowing(all others are fine). Is it from overload or a bad ground? I replaced the batteries in November and recently topped off before driving 1800 miles and used them with and without shore power. Since I don't know much about the electrical systems, should I just take it in for service or is there something obvious I should try first? Appreciate all advice!!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi time2b,
Is the fuse located in the Fridge control board enclosure or in the bank of coach 12 VDC fuses?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #6

Fuse Location

The blown fuse is in the bank of coach 12 VDC fuses, not the Fridge. Hope this helps ~~~, NOW WHAT? Thanks
Old 04-17-2010, 02:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Disconnect the 12 vdc positive wire from the terminal block of the refrigerator and reinstall the blown fuse. If the fuse holds the refrigerator is the problem. If not then find out what other apparatus is not working. Isolate that component and keep retrying the circuit. You will just have to try and find the short; it could be a bad light bulb, chaffed wire or a switch. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote