Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #1

Help with RV QD6000 fuel filter installation please

Hello-

I went to the Cummins Onan website, entered my generator information, and it provided me with the air filter, fuel filter, and oil filter combo to service my generator. I ordered them all from that screen.

As I'm lying here on my back trying to change this fuel filter out, I noticed it doesn't look the same as the old one per the picture below. The new filter is the one with the orange tip that is not installed. I'm assuming they just changed the look of the fuel filter. However, I'm not sure which way the fuel filter is supposed to be installed. Do these filters have an inlet/outlet side, or does it matter?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator fuel filter.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	180848  
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
They do have an inlet and outlet side. They are almost always marked with an arrow or stamped in or out on one end.

1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hufficon View Post
They do have an inlet and outlet side. They are almost always marked with an arrow or stamped in or out on one end.

hmmm.....that's what I thought. I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong filter....
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think you have the correct filter. Could be that the original was installed wrong. I would install it with the plastic end as the outlet. The filter will filter in either direction but will last longer if installed correctly. If installed backwards the media may rupture or be pushed from it's seat when it starts stopping up. The way these filters are made the inlet fuel flows around the outside of the filter media and the outlet fuel flows from the inside. The inlet on this one is on the right.
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, install