Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Daniel, that sounds like the makings of a nice little nightmare. You almost hit the trifecta - you had 12v electrical, water... All you would have needed is a flat tire or steering wander!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
So my Kwikee step has decided to stop extending. Intermittent buzzing sounds come from the control box. With nothing else on my to-do list (not) I begin troubleshooting. I'll skip the gory details & get straight to what I've found:

1. The step motor runs fine when hooked up to a 12v source on my bench.
2. The step motor won't run at all when connected via jumpers to the (good) 12v supply at the step. (This is coming from the chassis, NOT thru the controller.)
3. Aaaand, the kicker: #2 was killing me, so finally I hooked up my voltmeter to the jumper ground & 12v that I'm using at the rig. I get 12+ volts when the jumpers aren't hooked to the motor leads. As soon as I touch a jumper to the motor lead, my 12+ volts goes to zero. HOW? The motor runs fine on the bench.

Somebody, please put me out of my misery! HAAAAALP!
It doesn't take an engineer to solve that problem. Any time you lose voltage when you present a load on a curcuit there is a bad connection somewhere.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
A voltage drop test would be the most efficient here. It would tell you every thing you need to know. I use it in the marine industry to diagnose this type of problem all the time.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
A voltage drop test would be the most efficient here. It would tell you every thing you need to know. I use it in the marine industry to diagnose this type of problem all the time.
And what is a "voltage drop test"??
Old 05-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #19
YC1

Voltage Drop Testing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
And what is a "voltage drop test"??
This should help.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #20

One thing I have learned on 12 volt wiring is throw away the volt meter.Use a high amperage test light,you can have voltage on a meter.But you may not have enough of a current to light the test light.ck fuses for connections with test light for the same reason.
Old Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical