Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2006, 10:17 AM   #1

Hi All, just limped in, sort of our 94 Holiday Rambler Ford 460 7.5 EFI motor now hesitates , check engine light comes on then goes off.

starts out fine around 140 miles into the drive the check engine light came on was on for about 5 min. then went off, we did have the generator running for the roof AC, we had to stop at a signal, the check engine light came on and the signal light changed go to take off and the MH falls on its face backfires and sputters acted like out of gas but unit was 3/4 to 1/2 full tank. plus generator was still running...

after it sat for a day in ran great until we turned on generator and roof AC . now with the gen off it still hessitates and dies??

any suggestions, I had bought a new fuel filter but after driving for 115 miles next day does not seem to be the culprit..

thanks

2007 Toyoata Prius Hybrid
antlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2006, 10:17 AM   #2

Hi All, just limped in, sort of our 94 Holiday Rambler Ford 460 7.5 EFI motor now hesitates , check engine light comes on then goes off.

starts out fine around 140 miles into the drive the check engine light came on was on for about 5 min. then went off, we did have the generator running for the roof AC, we had to stop at a signal, the check engine light came on and the signal light changed go to take off and the MH falls on its face backfires and sputters acted like out of gas but unit was 3/4 to 1/2 full tank. plus generator was still running...

after it sat for a day in ran great until we turned on generator and roof AC . now with the gen off it still hessitates and dies??

any suggestions, I had bought a new fuel filter but after driving for 115 miles next day does not seem to be the culprit..

thanks

Old 07-19-2006, 10:25 AM   #3

Do the fuel filter for peace of mind.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:56 AM   #4

Installed filter, after driving for 2 hours engine nice and warm outside temp 100 degrees
the engine still hesitstes and dies and sputters when coming to a stop or idle or even slowing down example road construction crawl..

I feel it to be electrical, could the electronic engine control cause this type of problem ?

thanks in advance

Old 07-20-2006, 03:11 AM   #5

Ok, rule out the fuel filter. Your last post gave me a clue... -temperature. Is the engine running fine at cold start up and then after 2 hours (100 degrees outside) it starts acting up? If so, I'd say vapor lock is the issue here. Look for ways to cool the fuel line coming up to and over the engine.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #6

Hi Troth,
I thought about that but then the generator was running fine??

would that matter or ? I will try to insulate line, but wife reminded me that while driving she used the water pump and the sw. would not shut off had to use disconnect inside storage bin. to shut off turned main disc. back on water pump was fine. just seams to have a lot of electical gremlins..lol

thanks

Old 07-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #7

You might also check the plug wires. For a Ford, the intermittent check engine light is usually an indication of misfire.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:58 AM   #8

just had the same problem with my bounder the check engine light code for my motorhome was for the o2 sensor replaced it now it runs fine.
jeffbitzer is offline   Reply With Quote