Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hide your keys

Willa and I have three classic cars that we drive when we are home. (its a real treat to drive 3 cars when there aint but two of us)
Anyhow, when we left for Florida in early December I decided it would be a really good idea to ''hid the car keys'' so no one could break in and steal our cars.........
I told Willa that I was gonna hide the keys and she said OK but she failed to ask me where I was ''going to hide them''............
I hid them in the least likely place that a thief would look. I hid them in the laundry basket in the wash room......
We packed up and went to Florida and got back home in March. We went thru the usual unpacking of stuff out of the refregrator in the coach. Willa our meds in and the dirty laundry.... (you'r gettin ahead of me). She stuffed the dirty laundry in the laundry basket. YEP..... THE PLOT THICKENS.....
''Honey, where are the keys to the Subaru? I need to go to the market....''
''UUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHH....... I hid them somewhere....... HUMMMMMMM?
We started looking. I could not remember where i had HID THE KEYS....
I said shux ......
I looked above the washer in the cabinet..... NOPE.......
I looked in the dryer and the washer ........ NOPE.....
I asked Willa if I told her where I had hid the keys.... She said she knew I had hidden them but she didnt know where.
I finally remembered that I had put them in the laundry basket. I searched the first three layers in the basket .. NO KEYS ..... I said shux again......
Finally, in desperation, I simply dumped the laundry basket in the floor ...]
TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADAAAAAAAAAAAAA...... THE KEYS FELL OUT ......
Here is the moral of the story ...
When you leave home and you leave your vehicles behind ......
BE SURE TO HIDE YOUR KEYS FOR SAME .........
If you are really stupid like me you will need to leave a ''stickie note'' on the door saying THE KEYS ARE IN LAUNDRY BASKET. So you can find them when you get back home .....
Remember this ...... .If you use this valuable information you must pay me ten cents the next time you see me because these bright ideas are not easy to come by........ but on the other hand ....... IF YOU HIDE YOUR KEYS AND CANT FIND THEM ......... I NEVER KNEW YOU .....
GOD BLESS OUT TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SAFE AND SOON
GOD BLESS OUR VETS FOR THIER SERVICE TO THIS GREAT NATION
Seajay the sailor man .....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #2

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
If you have a trusted neighbor, friend or relative, wouldn't it have been easier to just give the keys to them? Plus, if the they also had keys to access the garage, you'd have a second level of protection brcause the vehicles could be moved to a safe area in the event of a fire or some other home emergency.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Hey Seajay, I know it's more fun to do it your way , but why not take the keys with you on your trip? Me thinks you like stories.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
SteelHead.....,
Don't confuse Seajay. He has enough confusion in his life. Consider.....never mind.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Consider this guys
One....... thanks for all the input concerning the ''keys'' situation...
As to the emergency thingie suggested by Steelhead. Our garage doors open with a ''tickie' on the visor of our cars so there is no garage key and if the house goes ''poof'' I am sure they would not worry about removing the cars but it is a thought ..
Two. We do give my sister in law, that lives beside of us, the keys to Willas car so she can use it if she should need to.... We have given consideration as to giving her all the keys to our cars but, bless her heart, she is more forgetful than we are and sometimes she cant remember where she put the keys to Willas car .......
We have considered ''takeing them with us'' but due to the bulk and numbers of key rings we dismissed that idea. Sometimes we have a hard time finding the house key after a long trip. (When you get older you lose your memory and something else that I cant remember right now but I dont think I miss what ever it is that I cant remember).
I have this suggestion for IRV2.......
They should start a thread called ..... WHERE I HIDE MY KEYS.....
In this thread we could leave a post as to where we had HID our keys and when we get back home we could just go to that thread and read where we hid our keys and go get them and all would be solved .................
WAIT A MINUTE ......... WAIT A MINUTE .........THAT WONT WORK ....
Me and Wayne the Marine would probably forget that we put a posting on that thread and we would never be able to start our cars again .....
I shall think on this problem guys and at a later date I shall post a resolution to this situation that will work for Sailors and Marines and regular all regular people....
Remember this guys ...... When, (not if) I come up with a good resoulution to this situation and you use that resolution....... You will have to pay me ten cents the next time you see me for use of this valuable information.......
On the other hand ..... If it dont work for you ......
I NEVER KNEW YOU ........ LOL .....
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SAFE AND SOON
GOD BLESS OUR VETS FOR THEIR SERVICE TO THIS GREAT NATION ...
Seajay the sailor man ....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
doc

Appalachian Campers
Been there and done that. Except I have three hand guns missing I hid in April of last year before we left home for four months. I still have not found those guns.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Been there and done that. Except I have three hand guns missing I hid in April of last year before we left home for four months. I still have not found those guns.
I know that the technology is now passe but I have used a Palm Pilot type device for years. When I'm going to get clever and put something in a place where others cannot find it, I write the information down in the Palm in case I end up being too clever for my own good.

Loose or misplace the Palm? Never! I use it daily because it also has my calendar. It my daily calendar back several years and as far ahead as I know about.

BTW, I have all of the VINs for our vehicles, all of their license numbers, etc. in the Palm, too. I wallk into the CG office with the Palm in my shirt pocket. If they decide that they just have to know license plate numbers or Aunt Tilly's shoe size in order to rent me a site, I have it right there.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Have you ever noticed that when you finally find things that you've been looking for they are always right where you left them?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Too true and too FUNNY!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like the trusted neighbor/relative thought (Neighbor is best) here is why.

One job I had the next door neighbor was a railroad.. now this can happen to anyone but not all that long ago Railroads were good at it.. They caught fire (The right-a-way was on fire) And in our yard, separated by just a privacy fence. we had a Ferguson TO series tractor the manager used to plow snow in the winter

Of course.. the fire was the other side of the fence.

Fire asked us to move the tractor to a place of safety since it had a full gas, yes, gas, tank.

And... I was the only warehouse employee who actually knew how to do that being as I grew up on a TO-30 and .. well.. starting one of those is not an easy task.

I proceeded to teach my co-workers where the starter switch was.. Just in case
Old 03-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have used that Palm Pilot trick for years, before the electronic version was ever produced. I still use it today. Here is how it works. I pull the pen out of my pocket, and write the information on the palm of my hand.

Unfortunately I do bathe (Contrary to Seajay the Sailor) and the information goes down the drain. If I could just remember to transfer it to paper, or one of those new fangeled electronic devises!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Geeze Doc, I can understand that, I'm still trying to find my 44 black powder revolver from last year. Yet I can still remember my serial number from the Corps and the serial number on my M-1, go figure.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is a good idea about hiding your keys. My oldest daughter lives next door and has a key to our house, but if I gave her the keys she would probably forget where they are. A good idea is to put them, with any firearms in a safe. When you get home, open your garage door with the little tingie, and open the safe to get your keys, if you remember the combination. I don't know what it is, but I think I am getting CRS diseas. Anyway, the DW knows the combination and I think this old sailor will put them in the safe next time and depend on the DW to remember.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
Have you ever noticed that when you finally find things that you've been looking for they are always right where you left them?
AND..... They're always in the last place you look!!

If you're in a hurry, you shouldn't be RV'ing
RVee'r is offline   Reply With Quote