Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2007, 03:00 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am in the process of upgrading my two TV's and had the biggest surprise last weekend when I fired up the one in the bedroom. The football game I had on the TV was in HI-DEF with the "ole" Winegard, crank up antenna-- I couldn't believe it . I called everyone I could find around the house to confirm my observation. Obvisously, I'm a novice with this new technology and don't completely understand all of it.

I purchased a Westinghouse 26" LCD (model SK-26H590D), because it has a built in DVD (front loading), and installed it. I'm pretty good with carpentry and metal working. I now understand a little more about HI DEF TV. I was confused about "digital", "analog", and "Hi DEF". Here is what I sorted out-- Please don't pick on me if I'm not "technically correct":
1- By February 2009, all TV stations are required to transmit in a digital format. Analog will be gone as most of us know it since the days of "Milton Berle". An additional desk top unit will be required to convert the digital signal to operate "old TV's".
2- Stations can "simutantously" broadcast up to four signals (four different programs) on one channel, ie: Channel 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 with this digital format.
3- The "digital" format does NOT mean every one of the four channels described in my example are transmitted in High Definition (none may be), but I think they all would like to transmit at least one channel in "Hi Def".

A "tech" at Westinghouse explained to me the "best" Hi DEF signal will be received on your over the air antenna (yes, the 'ole Winnegard bat wing model)-- even better than cable or the satellite, because there is only minimum loss of transmission signal strength. So if you camp near a major city or metropolitan area your "good to go" with just a HDTV installed and your "bat wing" antenna. Of course if you need "In Motion" or remote area coverage, you'll need some device, ie: Roof Top, Tri-Pod, or cable, system to bring in those digital signals. The satellite RV industry is in a state of flux right now trying to sort out making units to cover all the travel needs that we require in our adventures.

When I saw the results of my new installation in the bedroom of my rig I quickly ran out yesterday to "Target" and bought a second unit-- exactly the same as described above. It will fit exactly where the old 27" RCA unit was mounted above the Dash Board. I chose this particular unit because of the built in, front loading, DVD player. They also make a 32" similiar model (SK-32H590D). Target has the 26" unit on sale this week for $497-- thats $102 below their regular price and $48 below "Sam's Club". Sounds like I work, or worked, for Westinghouse--- I don't and never have. I'm an 'ole fighter and corporate pilot-- retired. I can now get rid of the VHS/DVD player.

The picture on this TV is nothing short of "spectacular" in HI DEF.

I hope I haven't bored you folks with this "trivia"-- I just wish I knew all this stuff earlier so I could have enjoyed this last summer with quality TV. Good luck to all,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:00 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am in the process of upgrading my two TV's and had the biggest surprise last weekend when I fired up the one in the bedroom. The football game I had on the TV was in HI-DEF with the "ole" Winegard, crank up antenna-- I couldn't believe it . I called everyone I could find around the house to confirm my observation. Obvisously, I'm a novice with this new technology and don't completely understand all of it.

I purchased a Westinghouse 26" LCD (model SK-26H590D), because it has a built in DVD (front loading), and installed it. I'm pretty good with carpentry and metal working. I now understand a little more about HI DEF TV. I was confused about "digital", "analog", and "Hi DEF". Here is what I sorted out-- Please don't pick on me if I'm not "technically correct":
1- By February 2009, all TV stations are required to transmit in a digital format. Analog will be gone as most of us know it since the days of "Milton Berle". An additional desk top unit will be required to convert the digital signal to operate "old TV's".
2- Stations can "simutantously" broadcast up to four signals (four different programs) on one channel, ie: Channel 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 with this digital format.
3- The "digital" format does NOT mean every one of the four channels described in my example are transmitted in High Definition (none may be), but I think they all would like to transmit at least one channel in "Hi Def".

A "tech" at Westinghouse explained to me the "best" Hi DEF signal will be received on your over the air antenna (yes, the 'ole Winnegard bat wing model)-- even better than cable or the satellite, because there is only minimum loss of transmission signal strength. So if you camp near a major city or metropolitan area your "good to go" with just a HDTV installed and your "bat wing" antenna. Of course if you need "In Motion" or remote area coverage, you'll need some device, ie: Roof Top, Tri-Pod, or cable, system to bring in those digital signals. The satellite RV industry is in a state of flux right now trying to sort out making units to cover all the travel needs that we require in our adventures.

When I saw the results of my new installation in the bedroom of my rig I quickly ran out yesterday to "Target" and bought a second unit-- exactly the same as described above. It will fit exactly where the old 27" RCA unit was mounted above the Dash Board. I chose this particular unit because of the built in, front loading, DVD player. They also make a 32" similiar model (SK-32H590D). Target has the 26" unit on sale this week for $497-- thats $102 below their regular price and $48 below "Sam's Club". Sounds like I work, or worked, for Westinghouse--- I don't and never have. I'm an 'ole fighter and corporate pilot-- retired. I can now get rid of the VHS/DVD player.

The picture on this TV is nothing short of "spectacular" in HI DEF.

I hope I haven't bored you folks with this "trivia"-- I just wish I knew all this stuff earlier so I could have enjoyed this last summer with quality TV. Good luck to all,
Old 11-16-2007, 03:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Max. I'm a little foggy on this Hi DEF thing myself.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:51 AM   #4
paz

Max, thanks for the summary. I am still a little fuzzy on all the digital/HD stuff myself and I need to read all I can.

HERE is a link to a web site that also has some helpful information and FAQs about digital and HD.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #5

Yes the digital channels are good with the batwing antenna. I can get a clear picture with the "HD" channel when the analog has a "snowy" picture on it.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was in Las Vegas,NM KOA when I swapped out the RCA 27" for a 32" HDTV. Prior to the HDTV installation, we were lucky to receive a couple of snowy over-the-air channels. We were amazed at receiving three very clear HD channels after installing the HDTV.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #7

I do not know much about the RV side of things as I am currently shopping for my first RV, but I do know about HD TV.

Most major broadcast station have a digital signal that can carry up to 4 shows as pointed out. The key here is that the range is in general excellent for these signals. In my home I have an original DirectTV HD Tivo receiver. These units receive national feeds via the satellite and local feed via over the air, as opposed to the newer models that have over the air MP4 locals. So I have a bat wing on top of my house and it gets great reception for about 50 miles ( I am sure the 30' + elevation helps some).

There is a website as linked to below where you can put in a location and it will tell you what signals to expect in what direction. There is a color code for how far a antenna should reach also.

Antennaweb link

Hope this helps.

Bruce
brucedelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #8

We recently bought a Sony 46" LCD HD tv for our home replacing our old 1992 Sony 32" CRT TV. We have Direct TV and also have an outside antenna hooked up to the new TV. Our local stations here broadcast in HD so unfortunately when I switched from our satellite to the Antenna and DW saw how much better the HD reception was she made me order an HD satellite receiver, oh well I guess another $10 a month is worth keeping DW happy--LOL

Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
All,

I am an Audio/Video Nut and I posted this primeer last December. Give it a look and please let me know if there are any questions.

HDTV Over the Air - A Primer
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Scott,

I crank up the antennae, autoprogram the TV and Bingo

Do you mean scan for auto tuning the stations? That is what my "menu" suggests?

Thanks for the input-- I'm almost ready to turn the front unit on. I had cabinet work to do and to fabricate a bracket to hold the new HDTV.

I'm tickled to death with the HD picture. Direct TV would not send me a second HD satellite receiver since I just received one earlier this week-- something about high demand, so I will go to Best buy and get it. They always tell me I'm a prefered customer because I pay my bills and I've been with them for over 10 years-- ugh! I can't use Dish network because we spend our summers in Maine and the 119 satellite is lower in elevation on the horizon than Direct's 101 satellite. My last neighbors (for 2 years now) had a terrible time with Dish reception and their antenna's were on the same fence structure my dish is on -- we're in the woods.

See yuh,
Old 11-17-2007, 12:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Yes - autoprogram/autotune the channels. If your TV has an HDTV tuner it will tune them. If you have a HDTV Sat receiver it will also need to program them.

I'm also a "preferred" customer w/DirecTV. Special number to call w/faster answer times. Other than that I think it means I've spent enough money and on time over 12 years for them to designate me "preferred". I think preferred means sucker sometimes.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
You guys know that if you call direct and tell them that you have a better offer from Dish they will cut you a break. They cut $30.00 off of my bill for 6 months. At the end of 6 months I just call them and do it all over again. $30.00 amonth is $30.00 a month. You need to get to retention when you call, they are the ones with the golden pen.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:41 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
CB5300-

Great idea. I'll call them. I went to Best Buy yesterday and installed the new HI DEF satellite receiver (I've bought two, one was a gift from Direct TV). Everytime you activate a new receiver it a 2 year commitment--ugh.
I'll have to call Dish to see what I'm going to talk to Direct about.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:35 AM   #14

I haven't replaced my old analog TVs, so don't get HD, but I did get the digital tuner box from Winegard and wired it in so I now get digital. Not HD, but better than analog.