Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #1

I have a high pressure air supply on our Holiday Rambler that does not have a shut-off valve or air pressure guage. Our old Itasca had these and it was easy to use the system to air up our tires. I need to add these to the present system without having to replumb the end of the air hose on the coach. The manual states the hose is 1/4" id. Anyone else had this problem and how did you fixit. thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #2

I have a high pressure air supply on our Holiday Rambler that does not have a shut-off valve or air pressure guage. Our old Itasca had these and it was easy to use the system to air up our tires. I need to add these to the present system without having to replumb the end of the air hose on the coach. The manual states the hose is 1/4" id. Anyone else had this problem and how did you fixit. thanks

Old 12-06-2008, 12:59 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Most all DP's only have an air chuck supply. A few of the Winnebago's had the gage and valve, but I do not know that they are much of a real advantage or disadvantage by not having.
I only had a chuck. I did want to add a filter/water separator in-case I wanted to do any touch painting, so I removed the chuck and added the filter; then installed the chuck downstream. To air up tires, I just connect the hose and I have a truck tire with gage inflation tool. No problem to check and/or adjust air pressures. By the way, I never have done any painting off it.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

For a few $$ you can buy an air chcuck with a built-in pressure gauge to tell you how much air you are putting in your tires. That's all you need.

Try one of these:

Dual head chuck with gauge

Inflator with gauge
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #5

If you want to install a cutoff valve just bleed off all of the air pressure from both tanks. Block you wheels first of course. I had just a plug in my manifold, so I installed a cutoff valve and then a quick connect. Be careful with those connection. Use Teflon tape and don't overtightene.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:44 PM   #6

My Meridian has the shut off valve and gauge, and I like having both of them. I did remove the quick connect and a installed a "T". The quick connect is on one end and a screw down bleeder valve in on the other. Now when I finish with the air hose, I turn off the supply valve, and bleed off the air that remains in the hose. Oh yeah, I added a piece of air hose about 15' long that I leave hooked up all the time on a hook by the connector. Now I can inflate front tires, Jeep tires or bike tires without breaking out the long hose. I usually leave a tire inflator or an air gun connected to it. Makes things a lot easier!

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #7

Sarge, We had a 03 32ft. Horizon. I liked knowing the pressure on the system before attempting to air up the tires. The new HR needs 115 lbs. on the front tires. I also liked cutting the air supply off with a valve before bleeding off the hose prior to disconnecting it. How would the hose react to just pulling it off under pressure?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #8

Without a way to bleed the pressure off, releasing the hose with the quick connect is a little violent but harmless. You just have to be ready for it. With a little ingenuity it would not be hard to bleed the pressure using the air chuck. If you mount a gauge near the manifold it I would place it after the cutoff valve since gauges can leak.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #9

Our 02 Holiday Rambler only has about 60 to 80 lbs. of air. Not enough to do the tires.
Joe and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #10

I found a hardware store today that had a full assortment of air fittings and guages. Now the problem of how to fit them all in the space and make them easy to reach. Thanks for the ideas. Sam