Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #1

My 7.0kw Marq Genset is putting out 146 volts at the electrical receptacles. Can someone help with it. The nearest tech is 2 hours away in a direction I will not be traveling soon. Can someone please help me figure this out? Does it have a faulty voltage regulator? I need help troubleshooting it.

Thanks for any help,
Bill

BIOGIL, Inc
billron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2006, 04:08 PM   #2

My 7.0kw Marq Genset is putting out 146 volts at the electrical receptacles. Can someone help with it. The nearest tech is 2 hours away in a direction I will not be traveling soon. Can someone please help me figure this out? Does it have a faulty voltage regulator? I need help troubleshooting it.

Thanks for any help,
Bill

BIOGIL, Inc
Old 05-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #3

My generator was doing the same thing last fall. I took it to Onan and they cleaned the rings noting they were extremely dirty and adjusted the voltage regular. Now it hovers at about 130.
SEMO Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:16 AM   #4

I wished I knew how to adjust the voltage, anyone know how?

BIOGIL, Inc
Old 05-30-2006, 02:03 PM   #5

There is a good chance that the manual for your generator is on-line. If you know the model number, enter it in a search engine or on an Onan Web site to search for the manual.

Good Luck.

Bob in Dallas

P.S. Greenville is my home town.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #6

I done a complete tune up on my ONAN Marquis 7000. At its lowest idol speed the generator puts out 120 volts but doesn't continue to run. It runs good at 146 volts. A couple months ago out of the blue it fried my appliances. It ran good before this. Anyone else have similar problems. I wonder if it is just my voltage regulator.

BIOGIL, Inc
Old 06-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #7

I went and bought a Multimeter at radio shack that read hertz values. I set my generator to 60Hz and read the voltage, 146. My regulator is shot. I ordered a new one.

BIOGIL, Inc
Old 06-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The spec for AC voltage is 115 plus/minus 10%, which translates to a range from 103.5 to 126.5. It not surprising that circuit boards get fried at volages so far above the upper spec limit - they aren't designed to handle anythoing thathigh!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:20 AM   #9

Yes, 146 volts fried everything, I have a new voltage regulator on the way. Its crazy that there wasn't any protection from a faulty generator installed on the RV at the factory. I am installing surge protectors everywhere, in case it happens again.

BIOGIL, Inc
Old 06-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It may be possible for you to install a "whole house" surge protector like Surgeguard. I don't have a transfer switch so with my hard wired SurgeGurard at the inside end of my 50amp cable, it protects the coach electronics from both campground and genset problems. It will shut down the power in both over and undervoltage situations unless I use a key to by-pass it.

Just a thought.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #11

To expand on what chasfm11 said, if you have a transfer switch, simply install your surge protector downstream from the transfer switch. That's how I installed my Progressive 50amp surge protector. It provides over and under voltage protection from campsite and generator. It's not hard to install one.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:24 AM   #12

Fred, where can I get the Progressive 50amp surge protector. Have you got a site?
Bill

BIOGIL, Inc
Old 06-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #13

Camping World has the 50 amp hardwired Surge Guard for approximately $495. I wired mine in just down stream of the transfer switch. Took approximately 4 hours to install including rerouting some of the existing wiring to allow hooking up an autoformer when required. It has worked flawlessly for 2 years.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I'm or sure a typical surge protector will help in a continuous over-voltage situation. Surge protectors generally are designed to dump brief voltage spikes (surges), not continuous high voltage situations. And they can only disipate a certain number of joules of energy before they are overwhelmed and that happens pretty quickly if the voltahe is continuously high. With a continuous high voltage situation, you need a power controller that actually shuts down to protect your rig if it detects voltage that is seriously under or over spec. The Progressive unit will do that, as will others such as TRC's Surge Guard.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote