Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Highly Recommended Backing Up Video!

Driver's Confidence Video 7: Backing an RV into a Campsite - YouTube

This video, I have seen several times, but dismissed it as it required a spotter, and I don't have a spotter available when I'm backing up the coach into my driveway which runs next to the house then into the back yard.

I had the opening of the driveway expanded by 3' off the street, which helped immensely. The driveway is a 10' wide and approximately 90' deep, with the northern 50' inside the gated back yard. The distance between the gate posts for the back yard is about 11'. I have only 4-6" clearance on each side of the mirrors when I'm backing up the drive from the street, so it's a snug fit.

But I took a version of this video and lined up the coach as the video shows about 2' off the curb and the imaginary line 8' fore of center of the rear wheels, stopped, turned the wheels hard right and moved forward to an imaginary line where I wouldn't be able to see the imaginary spotter, and then followed through, I was able to back the coach in without shifting gears to re-align! I'm so proud of myself!

Excellent! I've been kind of stabbing in the dark the past few years trying to angle the coach instead of following these simple instructions....I guess I just never stopped long enough to look at it and figure out how to do it without a spotter.

This really works well folks! Even if you don't have a spotter!!

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #2

Great tip...thanks for posting it. Now I need to get the DW to watch it.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
All of those driver confidence videos from Lazy Days are great!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes they are.

Usually I am solo when coming back home and I didn't pay much attention to it since it required a spotter. So I watched it more intently this time and tried it when I brought the coach back from LOF and new shocks, and it worked beautifully!!

I can drive out of the driveway and onto the street heading out with no shifting, I've got that down, but backing up the driveway and moving over onto the rock drive still is a couple of forward/reverse shifts. Eventually maybe I can get it down to just one!
Old 04-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #5

Your drive way would be a challenge for anyone
Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, and it is scary for passengers that have been in the co-pilot seat backing up the driveway next to the house looking over and wondering how I do it. They were/are like 'woah!'

Been doing it for almost 3 years now and so far only one boo boo and that was just not paying attention and scraped the side of the shed.

Now that the basket and all that on the back tow hitch receiver is gone, its even easier because I can back another 5-6' before moving over.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
There is a vid describing how to back into a site with the 3-point system using frisbees instead of a spotter. Thought I bookmarked it. Didn't. :(
Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #8

As GraciesDaddy says. I use the somewhat flattened cones used for soccer practice. They are bright orange and you can drive over them without destroying them. Great for a single person.

Put one down at the spotter's first position and one to help you know where to stop. For my coach the stopping 'cone' is a good eight paces forward of the spotter's cone. I also put a cone at the rear of the site that I can see in the rear view camera so I know when to stop. This info came from Barney when I took the Lazy Day's driver's course after I bought my first motor home.

This process works great as long as you have the room to make the first turn where you cut the spotter in half.

One other tip that Barney offered was to put a spot on your rear view mirrors to show where your back tires are. This helps a great deal when you don't have enough room to make that first turn. You will have to pull up farther and as you back up you know where your back tires are tracking and can adjust your path accordingly.

But, my advice is to always get out and look. I get out quite a few times. It doesn't bother me that I can't back the rig into the spot the first time and look like a pro. I really hate scraping tree branches and backing off the pad.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That's a great video! I'm gonna try that next week!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote