Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
Sorry you had to experience that. Personally, I would go to court and explain the breakdown and how nervous you were. They should at least reduce the fines for a humanitarian effort if you explain that you could NOT pick the place that you broke down! I mean really kick a guy when he's down!
Sorry, I thought he had given you the tickets. Dang concussion playing tricks on me again. Glad they gave you the support!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
If I see a camper on the side of the road I stop to see if I can help get them going again.

Unfortunately that is not a good idea. People have gotten killed by stopping to help and it adds to the road side distraction in a very dangerous setting. I also make every effort to get half a lane over to give the disabled vehicle space. By law, vehicles are suppose to move over for a emergency vehicle, but that law does not apply to a non-emergency vehicles on the side of the road.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #17

Within the last month, just outside Wausau, WI on highway 51/39 a southbound vehicle towing a RV trailer was stopped on the shoulder of a four lane divided highway. A Good Samaritan stopped to provide assistance. Another vehicle going south slammed into his vehicle and killed him and severely injured others.
MOVE OVER!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #18

My towbar disconnected and I was parked on the shoulder. A tractor trailer swerved while passing and took out my mirror.Not saying it was on purpous but I was well over on the shoulder.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
It’s really eye opening ! Never thought,being stuck along the highway could be so scary !! I was amazed at how many campers and semi’s didn’t move over !!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #20

I spent 10 hours sitting just barely out of a ditch alongside a US highway in Ohio. The traffic blew by at 70 or greater mph the whole time, they didn't move over. And not once did I see a trooper.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #21

43 States have "move over" laws. It's a shame they are not enforced. I wonder if one took pictures (with their license plates), and gave it to the trooper, they would get tickets?

https://www.google.com/search?q=atat...hrome&ie=UTF-8
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #22

Wink You were right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I did that ONCE! The RV was smoking from the wheels. When a LEO and fire truck arrived the LEO sternly lectured me about creating a bigger traffic hazard by stopping in front of the disabled RV.
That was on I 64 in KY.
I was always taught that if you are going to stop to help a disabled vehicle or at an accident scene that you should always park ahead so as not to block the view of the scene. IMHO: That LEO was wrong.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #23

Being a former tow truck operator, I am amazed that I wasn’t killed . No one would slow down, even after the slow down pull over law came into effect it didn’t matter, I can you stories that will make your head shake, I had people throw garbage at me when hooking a car, to people trying to drive under the tow cable when I had the road blocked. Tow truck drivers have been called some of the worst names, but the minute you need us you want us you expect us to be there right now. Sorry didn’t mean to rant , but people can be just plan &@$&& at times.
15 years of towing I had enough .
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982 View Post
43 States have "move over" laws. It's a shame they are not enforced. I wonder if one took pictures (with their license plates), and gave it to the trooper, they would get tickets?

https://www.google.com/search?q=atat...hrome&ie=UTF-8

That law only applies to emergency vehicles. It does not apply to private vehicles broke down on the shoulder. It should apply.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
Being a former tow truck operator, I am amazed that I wasn’t killed . No one would slow down, even after the slow down pull over law came into effect it didn’t matter, I can you stories that will make your head shake, I had people throw garbage at me when hooking a car, to people trying to drive under the tow cable when I had the road blocked. Tow truck drivers have been called some of the worst names, but the minute you need us you want us you expect us to be there right now. Sorry didn’t mean to rant , but people can be just plan &@$&& at times.
15 years of towing I had enough .
Yep our tow truck driver said he’s been hit twice! I would have never believed how bad it is , but now I believe !!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
That law only applies to emergency vehicles. It does not apply to private vehicles broke down on the shoulder. It should apply.
Depends on the state. For example:

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-law/36730379/
1982 is offline   Reply With Quote