Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2005, 05:25 AM   #1

Greetings all.

Anyone use a hitch mounted bike carrier to haul a motorcycle?

I'm mainly concerned with the consequence of loading ~1000lbs on the hitch.

My Class IV hitch is rated for that load, but the question is whether it overly compromises steering feel (i.e. light front end).

My coach (Alpine) has ~60/40 weight distribution, before the load, which should help.

Already ran the "fulcrum" formula. Looking for real world experience.

Thanks,

Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2005, 05:25 AM   #2

Greetings all.

Anyone use a hitch mounted bike carrier to haul a motorcycle?

I'm mainly concerned with the consequence of loading ~1000lbs on the hitch.

My Class IV hitch is rated for that load, but the question is whether it overly compromises steering feel (i.e. light front end).

My coach (Alpine) has ~60/40 weight distribution, before the load, which should help.

Already ran the "fulcrum" formula. Looking for real world experience.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-24-2005, 04:17 AM   #3

I bought the simple Blue Ox Aluminum carrier and I built a winch to pull the bike up the ramp. I have a total of $700 invested in it as opposed to $2200 - $3300 for the lifting style. I saved about 150#s on extra weight. We carry a 900# bike and pull a 6000# Avalanche with out 40' Phaeton. The only time I feel any effect of the bike, is if I make a sudden change in direction. Because the hitch point for the Avalanche is behind the bike, it has more leverage to push the rear of the coach sideways, but it has only a minor effect. I have hit some hard dips in the road, but have had no problems. I have never noticed any change in the steering with the extra load at the rear. I did upgrade to a larger tire because I am slightly over the axle and tire rating when we are fully loaded for our winter trips. I'm not concerned about the axle, as it is over less than 5%.
If you have done the math and your overhang is not too much, you should have no problems. It sure is nice having your car and motorcycle along on trips.

Doug
Doug Polzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:58 AM   #4

Thanks Doug!

I think I'll follow your approach and go with a lighter carrier (lighter on my wallet too).

The Joey Lift looks like the one for me. It's around $900 and has a hydraulic jack to get the bike up. Doesn't need additional frame attachments and weighs 275lbs.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:09 AM   #5
PDB

We use a Tilt-a-Rack to carry our 400# scoot with a winch to pull the bike up the ramp. Then we have an extended receiver to which I connect my toad, a Jeep Grnd Cher.
Total cost about $400, installed.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote