Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
TLL

Home insurance

Will my home be covered for fire damage if my driveway is not plowed when I'm gone in the winter?
TLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great question for your agent.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #3

How long is your driveway and how much snow do you normally get?
Old 12-02-2014, 04:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf7g View Post
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great question for your agent.
Couldn't agree more...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:04 AM   #5
TLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
How long is your driveway and how much snow do you normally get?
The driveway is about 300 feet long and we can get 2 to 3 feet of snow in northern Wisconsin.
TLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:19 AM   #6

We live in Missouri and have some snow, so guess I need to check my insurance policy.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I agree, you need to check with your agent, and get any response in writing (an email will do), or review your actual policy.

It's not the accumulation of snow so much as the time it is left unoccupied. Many homeowners policies have, or at least used to, clauses relative to leaving a home unoccupied for an extended period of time, like more than 30 days.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
You might require a different policy for the length of time your home is empty.....When my mom passed away we had to "upgrade" the policy to reflect that the home was unoccupied until we sold it. But all those questions are easily answered by a call to your insurance agent.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #9

I have 3 part time homes that I use as base camps as I travel around the west. One of them in the Colorado mountains where they can get 2 ft of snow in one night. They are all insured as "seasonal homes" , my agent and the insurance company (which covers all 3) are well aware I can only live in one home at a time. They each sit vacant for up to 6 months a year and I've had no problem with claims and find no language in the policy to indicate there should be any problem.
There are thousands of seasonal homes all over the country that are fully insured when vacant, so its not like this type of policy is hard to find.
Although you may get agreement for overall coverage when unoccupied, they may still deny a specific type of loss where your failure to take normal precautions left the home at risk. Such as damage from frozen pipes, if you failed to drain and winterize the home before leaving it vacant all winter. etc

Yes, ask your agent. You may need to revise the policy to be sure extended vacancy isn't an issue.
I'd also add that if your local fire dept isn't capable of dealing with a 300 ft driveway with 2 ft snow, then think about moving.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Jim, you have no issues because you've declared them as "seasonal homes". I suspect the premium is slightly higher for any one of them than it might be if you were living in it full time.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:35 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Jim, you have no issues because you've declared them as "seasonal homes". I suspect the premium is slightly higher for any one of them than it might be if you were living in it full time.
We insured our house in CO as a seasonal home and it was several hundred dollars higher than the standard policy we changed to last spring since we are not full timing or snow birding any more.

The good news is - my next door neighbor had his two sons come over and shovel our driveway. That was very nice of him and I can't get him to take any form of compensation. Still trying to figure out how to do something for the boys.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Clay L, you are doing something for the boys. You're helping to teach them respect for others and some responsibility in life.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:37 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
Clay L, you are doing something for the boys. You're helping to teach them respect for others and some responsibility in life.
Their dad and mom are doing a great job with their kids. They home school and are really teaching them old school values and manners.
It so neat to hear kids playing without screaming and fighting. They have fun and laugh a lot but are not annoying at all. They even do chores without gripes and eye rolling.
We have always been lucky to have good neighbors and this place is no exception.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Still trying to figure out how to do something for the boys.

A whole bunch of coupons for pizzas and burgers can't be ignored when Santa leaves them...

Tags
insurance