Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I wanted a windshield solar screen for our up coming trip to Utah, but shelling out $200 didn't appeal to my pocket book. So we set out to create our own. I looked at all the various photos I could find and finally settled on a plan. With the great help of my wife the project is complete and IMHO looks pretty darn good for a couple of hackers!

I purchased two rolls of Phifer Super Solar Screening in black which claims is blocks 90% of the suns heat. I could have ordered a larger single piece of fabric via the Internet on several sites, but most of it was much longer then I needed and pretty expensive. To add some support to the edges of the screen I also purchased two strips of flat aluminum 1/16" x 1.5" in 4' strips. finally a roll of 2" wide Industrial Velcro. All of this was available at Lowe's, our local Home Depot did not have any of the Solar screening, but may vary by store. I found the Solar Screen in the store in the screen repair section, not in the Garden department.

We measured the height of the windows to the edge of the black molding and from the center to each edge of the molding. Wife hemmed the fabric top and bottom and then hemmed a pocket for the aluminum strips which I had cut to fit and rounded the corners. She was having a heck of a time sewing through the Velcro as it had glue on it and it kept gumming up the needle, she was about to give up when I suggested using some Pam cooking spray, worked like a charm no more gumming up the needle.

We then applied strips of 2" wide Velcro next to the side of the windshield directly to to fiberglass, if you have recently waxed your RV the Velcro will not stick - trust me I found out. She then tacked the material in the center and we fit it to the coach windshield and marked it. One final hem and the Windshield Screens are complete. We're very happy with the screens and most of all we had fun doing the project together. All that is left is to either buy or make some type of sleeve for the wipers.

Total cost was about $55, for the two rolls of fabric, aluminum strips and the Velcro.

Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2007, 10:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I wanted a windshield solar screen for our up coming trip to Utah, but shelling out $200 didn't appeal to my pocket book. So we set out to create our own. I looked at all the various photos I could find and finally settled on a plan. With the great help of my wife the project is complete and IMHO looks pretty darn good for a couple of hackers!

I purchased two rolls of Phifer Super Solar Screening in black which claims is blocks 90% of the suns heat. I could have ordered a larger single piece of fabric via the Internet on several sites, but most of it was much longer then I needed and pretty expensive. To add some support to the edges of the screen I also purchased two strips of flat aluminum 1/16" x 1.5" in 4' strips. finally a roll of 2" wide Industrial Velcro. All of this was available at Lowe's, our local Home Depot did not have any of the Solar screening, but may vary by store. I found the Solar Screen in the store in the screen repair section, not in the Garden department.

We measured the height of the windows to the edge of the black molding and from the center to each edge of the molding. Wife hemmed the fabric top and bottom and then hemmed a pocket for the aluminum strips which I had cut to fit and rounded the corners. She was having a heck of a time sewing through the Velcro as it had glue on it and it kept gumming up the needle, she was about to give up when I suggested using some Pam cooking spray, worked like a charm no more gumming up the needle.

We then applied strips of 2" wide Velcro next to the side of the windshield directly to to fiberglass, if you have recently waxed your RV the Velcro will not stick - trust me I found out. She then tacked the material in the center and we fit it to the coach windshield and marked it. One final hem and the Windshield Screens are complete. We're very happy with the screens and most of all we had fun doing the project together. All that is left is to either buy or make some type of sleeve for the wipers.

Total cost was about $55, for the two rolls of fabric, aluminum strips and the Velcro.

Old 06-23-2007, 10:40 PM   #3

VERY Nice.....

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice. When can you both come to Diamond Point to make us one?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks great. Now that you are an expert at this, you can make them for your side windows.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:04 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Very nice install.
I will check out our local Lowes for the fabric. I want to make up for the side windows. I had planned to use 2 inch diameter suction cups once I found the material.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by depchief:
Very nice install.
I will check out our local Lowes for the fabric. I want to make up for the side windows. I had planned to use 2 inch diameter suction cups once I found the material. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

depchief, suction cups might prove to be a good way to fasten the shade. I too made a windshield cover a couple of years ago out of same material. I have had problems with Velcro adhesive drying out in Hot California sun. I think I may try your idea of suction cups.

Dieselclacker
Old 06-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the comments and compliments.

I'm not 100% sold on the Velcro, but I didn't find the right type of suction cups either. I'll see how the Velcro holds up on our trip to Utah, temps are already over 100? at Zion, combined with the Sand and Dust we'll encounter and it should be a good test.

smlranger - Those are on the future agenda. I have the habit of starting projects right before a trip and I think it drives my wife up the wall, I'll wait till we get back and confirm that this setup works.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #9
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A nice professional looking set of screens,however:

Does sun screens on the outside really keep the
windshield cooler? I see RVrs hauling out ladders and going thru a laborous process of installing exterior sun screens quiet often.

I opted for making interior sun screens which are secured to the windshield at the top with suction cups. Since there is a slight outward slant to the windshield,I also use adjustable curtain rods to hold the screens against the windshield .

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adj:
A nice professional looking set of screens,however:

Does sun screens on the outside really keep the
windshield cooler? I see RVrs hauling out ladders and going thru a laborous process of installing exterior sun screens quiet often.

I opted for making interior sun screens which are secured to the windshield at the top with suction cups. Since there is a slight outward slant to the windshield,I also use adjustable curtain rods to hold the screens against the windshield . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone know of a good source for purchasing suction cups?

Dieselclacker
Old 06-25-2007, 07:54 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone know of a good source for purchasing suction cups? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As a matter of fact, I do.

Try Beasley Mfg.

Lynn and Paul 352.793.5055

They have everything for the do-it-yourself solar shade maker. No complete products.

More fabric colors than I knew existed.

They are in Center Hill FL. from Nov. 1 to April 1.

Don't know if the phone # is good all year.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #12

I have the type that stick to the inside of the windshield with suction cups. The suction cups dried out and would not stick any more. I found exact replacements at Wal-Mart in the craft section. The Medium size were just like mine. They came with hooks that I just removed and threw away.

RetiredSKP
Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
OK, this is probably a duuuhhh-question, but how do you fasten the screen fabric to the suction cups? Eyelet? ??

This project appeals to me due to it's simplicity and effectiveness. That and the low cost and no-saw required tooling.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
RonNBama - with the strip of aluminum in the edge you can easily drill through it and mount a suction cup that way. Finding the right suction cups that have a screw mount may be a bit more difficult though. These are the type of suction cups and the setup I plan to use if the Velcro fails.