Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
'Honey Dipper' holding tank pump out

We are visiting family and will have no access to full hook ups for another 7 days. We're using their facilities when we can but I may still approach full and fuller on my holding tanks in spite of our conservation strategies.

I am not near any dump facilities and wondered if I might get one of the porta-potty companies to come by and pump me out if needed. I am curious if others have ever done that and how well it works. I believe I've heard they offer those services at rallies.

I have a macerator toilet so there is no toilet valve to keep open during that process so the roof vent should allow enough air in to keep from sucking the tank flat.

We will not likely need this done but was curious if the need ever arises.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 01:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Recently at the Redmond FMCA rally, we had our tanks pumped out and the large hose the guy used actually connected to a regular stinky slinky hose. I would think that it would have collapsed way before the tank would. The vent provided more than sufficient air inlet to keep the hose from collapsing even a little bit.

Don't worry about it.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Most porta-potty guys will do a pumpout.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A porta-potty or septic cleaning company might be willing to pump yu out, but many will not even try. They lack the experience and connectors to do it right and the small amount of revenue isn't worth the time and the liability risk.

Both of those types of companies typically just drop a hose into the tank from up top and start sucking with a big macerator pump on their truck. Your tanks have no top access, so they need to couple to the bayonet fitting on the drain and pump from there, then deal with the residual in the hose. Call around and ask, you may find one who has the right hose for the job. Don't expect a bargain, though, cause their big truck & the driver's time has to get paid for whether they pump 50 gallons or 500.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:21 PM   #5

'Honey Dipper' holding tank pump out

I've never come across a town or city yet that wouldn't let you dump at the waste water treatment facility. Most even do it for free.

They'd rather offer the service than have folks dumping in a ditch somewhere.

BTW, it's more common than you think, all those 'disaster clean up' folks that vacuum out basements after a sewer back up have to have somewhere to off-load don't they?

I would however be extremely cautious about using Fred's Honey Wagon service. You'd be amazed at how little vacuum it takes to turn a black or grey tank inside out and how much vacuum those trucks produce!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post

I would however be extremely cautious about using Fred's Honey Wagon service. You'd be amazed at how little vacuum it takes to turn a black or grey tank inside out and how much vacuum those trucks produce!
Ted... did you read my reply above? Inside out?
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #7

I did read your post. Have you never read posts here about folks with blocked vents?

What if they use a different contractor than you did? There are several of them around, not all of them use a 'regular stinky slinky' either. It would take a couple of seconds to collapse a tank, even including drain lines.

Do you have any idea how many inches of vacuum it takes to lift a 6" hose full of 'stuff' 8' up plus how many feet laterally?

Or do you think a 6" high vacuum line will be satisfied with a 2" vent line, never mind all the liquid trapped between the two slowing everything down?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Hmm seems to me that most who predict disaster forgot about the fact every fixture has a trap that could get sucked clean and then also act as a vent for the respective tank. Another solution is to go buy a Tote Tank, they latch onto your bumper hitch and you can tow them to either an available pottie or sneak a manhole off a sewer service and dump away.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Just call around to septic services in the area. RV pump-outs are pretty common. Just don't let them connect their vacuum hose directly to your tank. The service I used when I was parked at my father's property (Schoharie County, NY) had an oversized hose connected to his pump. My slinky went down into his with some air gap. So he sucked air as well as the outflow from the slinky. Worked fine.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #10

!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the feedback. I think we will make it without needing a pump out so keeping our fingers crossed.

The suggestion to use one of those tote tanks with wheels is a no-go. Had one of those when had a TT years ago.... never again.

Years ago I helped a fellow pump out trailers at a marina campground. He had a portable pump out trailer with big tank and pump. We always opened the toilet valve and put a piece of 2" PVC pipe in the toilet to keep the blade valve open while pumping. Can't do that with my macerator toilet.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post

!

I know of lots of folks that think the 5 year rule for tires is ludicrous and run them waaaaay beyond that. I also know lots of folks that would be nervous driving to the tire shop on 5 year old tires.

So you're saying nobody should raise the potential problems?

Just for fun, calculate what the theoretical flow on a 2" tube is with a 500++ CFM vacuum pump trying to draw through it.

Yes, it's more than enough restriction to cause problems.

A number of years back I was asked to calculate the potential pressure against a 12' x 12' bay door if a pair of 60 gallon compressor tanks or the distribution tube pressurized to 120 psi suddenly failed. A homeowner had plumbed a home shop with 1" copper water pipe and something went wrong.

0.7 psi on the bay door was the answer...........

Except the door was 12' x 12', so that's 144" x 144" or 20,736 square inches, so that 0.7 psi meant there was a load of 14,400 pounds against that door.

Do you think the door fared very well with more than 7 tons suddenly applied to it?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #13

Can you reach their sewer clean out cap? Mine is close to my driveway, I dump there after a long trip.

Someone posted this app today on this site, and I just loaded it. It's free
Sanidumps RV Do an app search and it should show up.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:27 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had our tanks pumped out by the honey wagon many times at race tracks. The last guy had our slinky hooked to a blue tote tank that had a hole cut in it. Once he pulled our valve and the stuff started flowing into the tote, he would but his suction hose into the hole that was cut in the side of the tote tank. Impossible to damage the tanks that way. They ran through the pits all day every day for a week, day and night. Must have made a pretty penny at 40 bucks a pop!

Tags
tank