Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #1

Hoping for info!

Wanting ideas on purchasing our first diesel pusher (or motorhome in fact). We will be purchasing a 2001-2004 and would prefer a 8.9 cummins as the engine. Any suggestions?
contrarymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #2

Start with an idea of how you will use the coach.
Do you plan to just park it and stay in on spot or travel or stay in the boondocks.
how many slides,they can be great for increasing the living space,but can be a problem in getting to areas when closed up when you want to make a short stop.Like pulling off the road to rest, fix a quick bit to eat or going to bed.
How is it laid out,how would you use the storage areas? inside and out.
If your are a fix it your self-er do you feel OK with working in the engine and equipment areas.
What price range fits your finances.
If towing what are you planing or thinking of towing,Weight is a factor.
Look at everything,with it closed up and opened up and ask many/many questions.
Talk to people that have them,like you are doing here.
Good luck Dick.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of fine choices for a DP with the Cummins ISL 8.8L engine. American Coach, Newmar, Fleetwood, Monaco/HR, Allegro Bus, etc. The chassis are all pretty good, whether Freightliner, Spartan or Roadmaster. You will want to think more about floor plan than engines - it is much more critical to your future enjoyment.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
floorplan is key and make sure DW likes it at least a little bit. Don't think that it will grow on her, if she don't like it, your going to be looking for a trade sooner than you think. Our first diesel pusher was a 05 Fleetwood expedition 38 ft with 3 slides. Nice coach, i loved it wife hated it. Now we have a damon Astoria bunkhouse, 40 ft with 3 slides. She loves it, I tolerate it but as long as she loves it, i can survive a MH i am not in love with.

When buy a rig that old.. make sure its in good shape mechanically or that you are willing to do a lot of the maint work.

Motor homes unlike fixed houses do not apprecriate with fix ups and improvements.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 PM   #5

These things are important everyday : floor plan (includes living, sleeping, and bathroom), storage space for clothes and your toys, carrying and towing capacity, comfortable places to sit while reading and watching TV,

Only the days that you drive are these things are important: engine, transmission, brakes.

In this day and age all the engines in motorhome will get you there ... some a little quicker than others ... some a little more efficient on fuel ...

We spend about 4 to 5 months each year in our motorhome ... we generally travel about 5000 to 6000 miles a year ... we are on the road less than 3 weeks ... so the majority of the time we are parked ... I like the euro rocker that I sit in to read, work on my computer, and watch TV ... there is enough room in the bedroom for me to comfortably change clothes ... the bathroom is not cramped ... my wife likes the layout of the kitchen ... there is enough room for us to party 6 (8 in a pinch) ... when you are parked the engine is just a gigantic chunk of metal below the bed.

Fuel is unlikely to be your biggest expense while owning a motorhome. Fuel costs will be smaller than depreciation, insurance, maintenance ... I have reduced my cruising speed from the 67 - 70 range to 62 -64 range ... as a result my fuel milage has increased about .25 mpg ... I still get there but it takes me a little longer.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote