Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Horst "Miracle Probes" for water tanks

I would like to see feedback from others who have installed "Horst Miracle Probes" in their black and/or gray tanks. Please don't complicate this thread with discussion of other systems, or reports of how a bag of ice or water softener or whatever helps. There is plenty of all that elsewhere ...I want to hear about Horst Miracle Probes.

After trying most of the other reasonable "cures" for bad sensor readings, I installed Horst probes in my black and gray tanks on Jan 28 this year. I chose to try them because they are relatively easy to install, they look like they will work, and the price is much more reasonable than other options that are reported to work for some people and not for others.

At first, it appeared to be a waste of money. I got NO READING other than empty on both tanks. I used jumper wires across the exposed sensor ends and STILL got nothing other than totally empty or totally full readings. I know the sensor board in my coach has been adjusted in the past, so I tinkered some with the adjustments. Suddenly last week ...5 weeks after installing them ...the gray tank sensors are providing normal readings which appear to be accurate. As yet, the black tank gauge still shows only empty ...maybe I need to tinker with the adjustment some more.

My coach has 2 locations to read tank levels ...one inside and one in the water service bay. I disconnnected the bay circuit board several years ago after finding that it seemed to through the inside board off. I even replaced the outside board and that didn't help. I tried connecting it and found it changed the inside readings from EMPTY to FULL on all tanks, so I disconnected it again ...nothing really to do with the Horst sensors.

What have other Horst users experienced?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
You will find a couple of members in this thread talk about the Horst...along with some in this thread
I hope that helps you some (You can always PM the pertinent members!)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #3

I installed Horst probes last summer and they have worked great. They have given correct readings since I installed them. I am still determining if or when I will need to clean them and I have several techniques that I developed keeping the original ones clean. I recommend the Horst probes.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
I installed Horst probes last summer and they have worked great. They have given correct readings since I installed them. I am still determining if or when I will need to clean them and I have several techniques that I developed keeping the original ones clean. I recommend the Horst probes.
I've read a buncha threads about the Horst probes. Some like 'em, some don't.

Makes me wonder tho. If a guy can clean these probes, either by removing them or ice cubes or detergent, or spraying, why would these techniques work on the Horst probes and not the original ones?
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The factory probes on my tanks can not be removed.. now on the black tank there is a way I can clean them (and on one of the gray tanks there will be sooner or later) but on the fresh water tank I have a sensor that is giving me fits.. Don't know if it is the sensor or the epoxy chip (resistor array) that is flakey and the resistance readings I get do not make sense. (I will figure it out some day)

But with the HORST probes (Which I will order one day) I will be able to remove them if I have to.. Haz-mat procedure on the black tank (And gray),, but still I can remove them.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For those asking about the Horst probes you can see a video here
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Anyone with recent experience on these probes?
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm the guy who started this thread almost a year ago now ...you can see some pics and read about my experiences with them on my website here Waste Tank Monitors
Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Good write up AFChap. I'm seriously considering the Horst Probes for my black and gray tanks.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #10
NEO

Re: Horst Miracle Probes.
Put them in 6 months ago. At first they worked but not now. Still Grey and Black water showing 2/3 or full.
$80 and at least 8 hours locating, dismantling and reassembling. Drilled new holes beside the old probe.
2000 Winnebago Adventurer.
Neil Ober