Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

Hot dog house, dog house hot:)

Ok I am not cooking hot dogs, but my ankles sure are getting cooked. The heat from the dog house is terrible in my MH. I usually fold up a beach towel and place it between the dog house and my leg. Does anyone else have this problem or have a solution? Confession I have never opened the dog house on my coach.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
Ok I am not cooking hot dogs, but my ankles sure are getting cooked. The heat from the dog house is terrible in my MH. I usually fold up a beach towel and place it between the dog house and my leg. Does anyone else have this problem or have a solution? Confession I have never opened the dog house on my coach.
You didn't mention the make of coach, but mine is not noticeably hot at all when driving. I do know that you can get a foil-backed insulation product that can be applied to the inside that will act like heat barrier.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'll assume a Class C as mine was always very warm. Not so in my A. It does sound like the insulation under the house is missing. I would suggest biting the bullet and remove it. The insulation Ramblin mentioned is usually available at any auto supply store and made for this purpose, it also reduces noise levels in the cab.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
From the OP's public profile;

1999 Damon Intruder 36ft

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The app doesn't show user's profile. Anyway, same insulation problem no matter what he has.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #6

Yes, I need to open it up and see what's going on down there. A little concerned that if a add something it might come loose and catch fire on the engine.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We replaced the cheap 1/4 inch insulation on our doghouse with Dynamat. Older rigs like ours also have nothing insulting the driving compartment floor from the engine. Thus we pulled the carpet and put Dynamat through out the entire driving area and fire wall.

Not only did it eliminate the heat, but it also killed the noise!

Dynamat can be bought at most places that do vehicle music system installations and is much cheaper from them than buying from Dynamat direct or vehicle restoration businesses.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Engine insulation like you need to use is fire proof.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FYI - before I purchased and installed the Dynamat products, I contacted the Dynamat company and verified with them the viability of their product for use over the engine on the dog house side facing the engine. Per Dynamat the product is designed for this purpose as well and being fire resistant. Note this product is installed in vehicle engine compartments all the time (hoods, etc.) for both heat and noise control. We've put over 10,000 miles on our MH since installing this and have not had any issue with it facing the engine.

The material I pulled off the doghouse before installing Dynamat was akin to what you would put in the walls of your sticks and bricks. At 1/4 to 3/8 inches thick it was useless for heat and noise control.

BTW - I use the IPhone app for these forums and if you click on the posting users picture it will bring up their profile info for your viewing pleasure
Old 08-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
did you say hot dogs

did you say hot dogs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130305_113853.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	802.4 KB
ID:	43505  
Old 08-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPICoaster View Post
FYI - before I purchased and installed the Dynamat products, I contacted the Dynamat company and verified with them the viability of their product for use over the engine on the dog house side facing the engine. Per Dynamat the product is designed for this purpose as well and being fire resistant. Note this product is installed in vehicle engine compartments all the time (hoods, etc.) for both heat and noise control. We've put over 10,000 miles on our MH since installing this and have not had any issue with it facing the engine.

The material I pulled off the doghouse before installing Dynamat was akin to what you would put in the walls of your sticks and bricks. At 1/4 to 3/8 inches thick it was useless for heat and noise control.

BTW - I use the IPhone app for these forums and if you click on the posting users picture it will bring up their profile info for your viewing pleasure
Thanks SPICoaster I really need to get started on this mode, maybe when it cools off. BTW my brother is a state farm agent in Temple.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
The app doesn't show user's profile. Anyway, same insulation problem no matter what he has.
It does, you have to tap the users avatar (or where it would be if they had one) and a new page opens showing the full profile, same as the 'regular' website does.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had a friend who was able to have his repoed on a Lemon Law as they could not get his dog house to quit burning his foot. The engine heat is in the hundreds of degrees so it needs to be properly insulated and the fit needs to be exact. Could be there isn't any insulation, someone forgot or it flat doesn't come with it. On the other hand a good hot dog at the end of the day is always a welcome reward.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Perhaps the OP could fabricate a hot dog cooker on top of the dog house.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote