Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #1

House batteries

Good morning, I need some help. I live in a 1996 Allegro Bay. My husband was in charge of maintenance but he passed away last year and here I am with little to no knowledge.I replaced my house batteries 3 weeks ago, they have lost their charge. I checked the fuses on the converter and they are good. That is pretty much the extent of my knowledge. Any help out there? It would be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #2

A Few questions. Starting or house battery?
What kind batteries did you buy? Who replaced them? Were they charging before you replaced them?

Old 08-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Are you comfortable working around 12V systems and wish to learn a bit more about your coach? If so there are many here that can provide a step by step approach to trouble shoot your situation.

If not, are you in a park with other campers? There may be a person near you that could support checking out your system.

Brian
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:09 AM   #4

I don't have an issue. I don't have any equipment such as meters..
Old 08-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchiejo View Post
I don't have an issue. I don't have any equipment such as meters..
I see you have a duplicate post in the Tiffin section so I'll be quick here.

A good digital volt ohm meter is essential, I chose one with a clamp on amperage meter as well. Fluke 335 Clamp on Meter is the one that I use. If cost is a factor a quality simple digital volt/ohm meter from Lowes/Home Depot would provide most of the benefit.

Brian
Old 08-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #6

I found a multimeter...
I thought my husband gave it to his son
Old 08-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It would not be surprising if the converter/charger has failed in a 1996 coach, but the voltmeter will quickly tell you about that. So should your coach battery gauge, even if its just a couple lights. The gauge should stay in the "good" range as long as you are plugged to shore power and the charger is working. If the gauge slowly goes down toward "poor" or "low", it probably isn't charging or supplying 12v power.

Using the meter at the battery + and - terminals, the meter should be showing at least 13.3v if the converter/charger is working. Higher is fine, but much less indicates no charger output.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #8

it is showing 13 at the battery
Old 08-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchiejo View Post
it is showing 13 at the battery
I would accept that voltage as good, your converter is charging and the batteries are more than likely in good shape.

Back to your concern about lights going dim - sometimes when a converter changes its charging stage (bulk at 14.4V, absorption at 13.6V and float at 13.2V) the 12V lights can faintly change luminescence (i.e. brightness) due to voltage going from 14.4V to 13.6 to 13.2 V. Not normally noticeable unless you are really looking for it....

If you still have concerns, measure the voltage on your batteries when the "lights go dim". If you still have greater than 13V I would say that is normal.

If it is just one light going dim, the bulb may be ready to blow, or there may be a problem with that one light circuit. My thoughts.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Old 08-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Let's back up a bit. You say the house batteries have "lost their charge", but that its hows 13v at the battery. That's not great, but well short of "lost their charge". 12.6v is considered fully charged, so 13.0 would indicate a slight charge being applied. 13.3-13.6 is more typical of that, though.

Why is it you think they have "lost their charge"? What are the symptoms of this problem?

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries