Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
House Batteries

I think I need to replace my house batteries. I have two 6 volt. I checked them a month are so ago and they were low on water, one cell more than the others. I checked them again yesterday and one cell in one battery was way down (not below the plates) and all the rest were only a little low. This one cell had boiled over so I filled everything back up and put it on charge, pulled 5 or 6 amps. After 4 or 5 hours another cell boiled over. I think I may have over filled, filling before charging. I have now lost electrolyte in two cells in this battery. I don't know what size or group these batteries are, nothing on the batteries or in the book. I guess BIG and HEAVY won't work! Any ideas on what batteries I should have? Any ideas why one cell more than the others?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Pete,

Sounds like you have at least one shorted cell. If you let the batts sit for a few hours (no load) and take a voltage reading that will be a tell tail. Anything under about 6-6.3 volts would indicate a bad cell. I see the year of your coach is 2004, if the batts are original you did pretty well.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Oh, left out the likely battery type. Probably T-105, good-long lasting flooded cell also known as a typical golf cart battery.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Pete,
wardy has the right idea. Disconnect the batteries from the coach. Charge the batteries fully. Let them set for a couple of hours. Take a voltage reading across the same connections that the coach uses (12 VDC). You should have 12.6 VDC or more. If this is true, let them sit for a couple of days (a week if you can). Take another reading. The reading should still be 12.6 VDC or more. If you are loosing VDC with the batteries just sitting, it's time to take them to your local auto parts store and have them put the batteries under load. This will provide the final answer on their condition. There are many different battery brands and a couple of different technologies one can purchase. For me AGM technology batteries are the right choice. The brand you purchase is personal preference. Consider using the Yellow Pages and look under batteries.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone. I removed them yesterday. At that time they both read 6.26 V. Today they read 6.25 V and the one that boiled over is 6.22 V. I will get a load tester and check them. Yes they are 2004 batts. They are T-105s and 220 amp/hr.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Pete, if you are going to stay with lead acid batteries then the best buy for the money is the Sam's Club Energizers GC-2 6V golf cart batteries. They are 220 amp and cost $75 each and are 100% relacement guantee for the first year. Your next best is the Interstate U2200 which is also a GC-2 size 6 volt. You can get them at $116 each with a little bargaining.
Those Trojan T105 that you have now are a great battery but expensive. Maybe two to one over the Sam's. The biggest way to keep the batteries in good shape is to always have them hooked up to a battery maintainer when the motorhome is not in use.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike I keep the MH plugged in when not in use, I assume this should keep the batteries maintained properly, is this correct? I think I can buy the T-105s for around $110. I have Trojan in my golf cart and am happy with them. I see you are an airdale, were you ever on the Ranger?
Old 02-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The Trojans are excellent batteries. The cheapest I have seen them is $119 but then I have to pay shipping.

I was on the USS America for a couple of years. The rest of my time was in P-3 Orions.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Pete,

You may have some life left in those batts. You said you leave your coach plugged in, yes? Well then was that the inverter boiling off cells? If so you'll need charging voltages checked as an inverter/converter should not hold high charge voltages for very long. If it was just a plug-in charger then your batts are likely okay but have built-in higher internal resistance and that's normal for aged but good batts.

Having said the above I would replace them anyway. Like the fellow's in the previous post mentioned you can get those cells for about $75 at Sam's or Costco.

Tom
Old 02-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #10

I bought 2 Sam's Club Energizers GC-2 6V golf cart batteries last spring and was told there was no warranty on them. My dead converter allowed my new batteries to die to near zero volts and I'm not sure they are still good for the long run, although they did re-charge with the new converter with 3 stage charger. Is there a place I can find out for sure about the warranty?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wardy, both charger and converter and with nothing hooked to it. Today it's overflowing while just setting on the work bench. What's with that?

Retired and Happy why would there be no warranty?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:28 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Pete,

I can't explain why the batt(s) would boil while disconnected from any charger. Perhaps the electrolite (added water) is contaminated. Looks for sure that replacing the batteries is the best bet. You're converter will also not have to work as hard since newer batteries will charge faster and have less internal resistance possibly extending the life of your inverter.

As to the warranty: Don't know about Sam's but Costco is one year full replacement. Not sure about Trojan.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's a good ideal to check the water in the Batters once a month.