Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

House batteries bad?

So I replaced my house batteries about a year and a half ago with Interstate batteries and they all read dead with hygrometer and run down in a matter of minutes when disconnected from shore even after being connected to shore for 2 days. When disconnected from shore, they read 5.8 volts on meter at the terminals. When connected to shore, they read 6.8, so they should be charging. When stored (which is most of the time) I have a knife switch that disconnects them from the RV electrical system. Is it likely for all four to go bad at the same time. Always worked fine up until this time.
Fordphares is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's possible they could go bad at the same time but not usually. I'd be asking myself what happened recently....was the switch left closed with a large parasitic load going in the coach? What else was changed/added or done differently.

For now- try to get the batteries back up with an external charger- see if they'll accept the charge. If not, one or more cells are open. This is a start. try it and see what the next step will be.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Are these 6 or 12 volt batteries?
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:11 PM   #4

Were they fully charged when you disconnected them ?

Did they sit discharged and then freeze ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Are these 6 or 12 volt batteries?

Yes, I guess this would be a logical first question!
Old 12-24-2019, 05:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
It appears there are probably 4 six volt batteries that all went low and are probably needing replaced. After replacing make sure the charger is working correctly and don't let the new batteries get low on water.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:52 PM   #7

Battery problems

They are 6 volt batteries, All were 100% charged when disconnected. They were disconnected, no access to parasitic loads. I always disconnect them and they typically drop 3% to 5% per month. Not sure what happened here, but maybe a cold spell got them. They may have set discharged, but I don’t understand why they discharged. Hooking to shore power charges them but they dump their load in 10 minutes. Looks like bad cells. Wierd that they would all go out at the same time being only 1.5 years old. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordphares View Post
So I replaced my house batteries about a year and a half ago with Interstate batteries and they all read dead with hygrometer and run down in a matter of minutes when disconnected from shore even after being connected to shore for 2 days. When disconnected from shore, they read 5.8 volts on meter at the terminals. When connected to shore, they read 6.8, so they should be charging. When stored (which is most of the time) I have a knife switch that disconnects them from the RV electrical system. Is it likely for all four to go bad at the same time. Always worked fine up until this time.
Fordphares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Battery tester

I would disconnect them from one another and then charge each one separately. You may just have one bad battery. I bought a battery load tester to test my house batteries.https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...ter-61747.html
This works good and can save time and hassle of taking them to a battery store to have the same thing done. I use it before every trip to check out both chassis and house batteries.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 01:01 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Charge -> check specific gravity -> equalize -> check specific gravity again. Typically should see an improvement and increased cell to cell consistency.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes . As suggested. Test each individually
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If charging is successful- then find the big loads that are drawing the batteries down. I find that it's a good 2 person job. One person looks at the meter while connected to the battery bank. The other pulls fuses- one by one. The person at the batteries monitors voltage drop each time a fuse is pulled. Make sure you are checking one at a time- replacing each fuse as you check the next. In your case, a 2 or 3 volt drop on one circuit should show you where the main problem is. Your knife switch- if installed properly and used properly should have prevented this event in the first place.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #12

Alright, so I think I may have a bad battery. I’m seeing 13.8 on the batterIes the solar is connected to. The battery that’s the last line, connected to the coach, has a ton of corrosion buildup on the terminal. It’s like greenish white solidified foam on the top. Weeks back the couch got left on not on shore power so I’m guessing I toasted a battery or two
graphite9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #13

When you use the batteries, how far down do you usually discharge them? The lower you discharge them during use, the fewer charge/discharge cycles you will get out of them. General recommendation for flooded cell batteries is to not discharge to a state of charge less than 50%. There are charts available to show the state of charge based on battery voltage.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 03:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
If charging is successful- then find the big loads that are drawing the batteries down. I find that it's a good 2 person job. One person looks at the meter while connected to the battery bank. The other pulls fuses- one by one. The person at the batteries monitors voltage drop each time a fuse is pulled. Make sure you are checking one at a time- replacing each fuse as you check the next. In your case, a 2 or 3 volt drop on one circuit should show you where the main problem is. Your knife switch- if installed properly and used properly should have prevented this event in the first place.

Thanks: this is with no load at all. Pretty sure I have a bad battery or several.
graphite9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries