Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #15

Part of the problem has been resolved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno39 View Post
What are the other lights on inverter doing? If the charge light is on, then your batteries are being charged. If the light is out, then you probably have a charger problem.

I would also check the age of your batteries. If they were "practically dry" and batteries are older than 3-4 years, you may have to replace them.
House batteries would not hold a charge under load... basically they were toast. So, I took a (big breath) and purchased four new house batteries. I bought four new Trojan 6V golf cart batteries. Got them home and installed without any problem. Plugged in and I could hear the charger buzzing and the 50 amp transfer relay clicked a couple times. However, the Xantrex unit still has me a bit concerned... the LED has stopped blinking and is solid green now, but the LED is lite above the Charge/GEL1 option. It seems to me it should be lite above the Invert/Wet option. Is my thinking off base here, or what? I'm afraid to leave the charger on at this point for fear I will burn up my new batteries. Any feedback would be appreciated...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Appears you have the option to select gel cells or liquid filled and need to look in the manual for the procedure to do that.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like time to read the Inverter Manual. Find out what the different light configurations mean
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
X6 Read the Manual have you been able to do so yet?

Study up on Rv electrical systems OR take it to a local Rv dealer / repair shop and have them check it out $$$ and demonstrate how you should use and what the lights on the remote control power center mean. too much bad advice here mixed with correct advice and you really need someone to physically demonstrate how your system works. JMO.. Once working correctly ( and it may be doing so now) the system is automatic once set .. It cycles charging at the proper level and you use the panel to turn on or off the inverter ( nothing to do with the charging process but same unit does it)as you need 110 if not plugged in .
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #19

Thanks for all the advice folks... I have read the manual several times and it doesn't say specifically when plugged in which battery position the green LED should light up over. I haven't been able to talk with a support rep at Xantrex - no phone support I guess?? I was hopeful someone with a '05 ish vintage Bounder and a Xantrex Freedom 458 might be out her somewhere and would plug there coach in an verify what LED light up on their unit. Also, I have everything shut off but my panel inside still registers 3 amps. Shouldn't that read zero? Thanks to all for your interest in helping.

Tom
Old 03-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller View Post
Thanks for all the advice folks... I have read the manual several times and it doesn't say specifically when plugged in which battery position the green LED should light up over. I haven't been able to talk with a support rep at Xantrex - no phone support I guess?? I was hopeful someone with a '05 ish vintage Bounder and a Xantrex Freedom 458 might be out her somewhere and would plug there coach in an verify what LED light up on their unit. Also, I have everything shut off but my panel inside still registers 3 amps. Shouldn't that read zero? Thanks to all for your interest in helping.

Tom
Are you looking at the remote panel or the inverter unit? If remote, which remote panel do you have (standard, 1000, 2000)?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller View Post

Tom
There are a lot of parasitic draws in any coach so a reading is normal. 3 amps seems a bit high but it will read something. With everything off in my coach, the panel says 1 amp.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #22

I had a problem with battery's not charging with the alternater while the engine on and all it was a blown fuse, there is a black box in the inverter compartment and there is fuses in there I found a blown fuse and that was my problem, good luck.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #23

The green light over charge /gel1 is telling you that the charger is ON. Gel side is only when you select battery type. If the first light is solid green that is saying you are using your inverter portion of the 458. If it blinks the inverter is in standby.
Any time a/c is applied to the rv (shore power or generator) your 458 senses this and automatically starts the charger. I have a 2001.5 with a 458 and have checked and rechecked operation of this device.
Fleetwood also says that "Their coaches now charge both battery sets when there is 13.3 or higher volts from any source"
Old 03-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcshanks View Post
The green light over charge /gel1 is telling you that the charger is ON. Gel side is only when you select battery type. If the first light is solid green that is saying you are using your inverter portion of the 458. If it blinks the inverter is in standby.
Any time a/c is applied to the rv (shore power or generator) your 458 senses this and automatically starts the charger. I have a 2001.5 with a 458 and have checked and rechecked operation of this device.
Fleetwood also says that "Their coaches now charge both battery sets when there is 13.3 or higher volts from any source"
This man's post is spot on!

The GEL & WET light designation is only relevant during setup. You need to read the lights as INVERT & Charge during actual operation.

Your system is operating as designed, period.