Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #1

House batteries not charging

Just got home from Flordia where I purchased my new '05 Bounder DP from a large dealer in Tampa. Sad to say, when I took it in locally to have oil, filter & lube they told me all six house batteries were practically dry. Aargh! Filled batteries and have in plugged into 20/50 amp circuit, but Xantrex Freedom 458 has invert/wet light blinking green continually about once per second. I have reset the panel inside to a 20 amp setting. I've turned everything off and back on several times and plugged and unplugged from barn 20 amp twice... No change, still blinking... Help please.

Thanks,
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
I'm not familiar with your set up but, were the house batteries completely dead? If so, depending on the charger it may not be seeing the batteries. If the batteries still show voltage when using a multimeter then I would take a look at the charging system. See if you can go on line and find the operators manual for the system. Also make sure all the battery terminals are clea and tight.

Martin

Old 03-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #3

That is the inverter in standby light. push the second button to turn on your charger,not sure on 20 amps but 30/50 this turns charger on. A/c application should have activated charger.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TomMiller,
The user manual is at
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Inv...-01_rev-2).pdf

The inverter/charger has way too many buttons/lights with on/blinking for different status. Good luck.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcshanks View Post
That is the inverter in standby light. push the second button to turn on your charger,not sure on 20 amps but 30/50 this turns charger on. A/c application should have activated charger.
I have pushed the button next to the inverter button (charge)... even held it in for a few seconds, but nothing changes. This really is odd, because we stayed in the MH two nights and used only battery. Furnace & a few lights & everything worked just fine. Tom
Old 03-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMiller View Post
I have pushed the button next to the inverter button (charge)... even held it in for a few seconds, but nothing changes. This really is odd, because we stayed in the MH two nights and used only battery. Furnace & a few lights & everything worked just fine. Tom
While you were driving the engine alternator was charging the batteries. You said the Batteries were dry. You are on the right path - fill them properly, re-charge them and try them out.
P.S. Don't get discouraged - there will be many things to learn/discover about your new coach. Just keep learning.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently had issues with keeping my batteries charged because of a slow power drain. I learned that my volts feel below 9 -10 volts the Xantrex would not recognize the batteries. So charged them individually with my portable battery charger to see if they would hold an equal charge and then reconnected allowing the on board Xantrex to keep them charged.

If they were dry and volts have been below 12 for very long you may have a calcification issue.

I would let the dealer know. Worse they can say is that it is your problem now.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Shade Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #8

One minor point about topping up batteries where the plates are exposed. Apparently better to add water until the plates are just covered and then recharge them close to fully charged, then top up to the bottom of the split rims.

Reason is if you fill them to the correct level straight away, they can overflow because the volume of the electrolyte changes during the charging process
Old 03-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
On mine the invert button light flashing the way you describe is inverter" on " waiting to invert 12 volts to 110 but in standby because you have it plugged in to 110 already and it's not needed. Push it one more time and it will / should stop flashing and stop trying to invert power the the invert light and switch has nothing to do with the charging process .. Only in setup mode where it's used to set the type of battery system being used , at least that's how my xantrex control unit works
With the unit unplugged from 110 and a load on the battery, 12 volt lights etc what does the panel say the house batteries are putting out ? About 12.7 volts ? If it can hold that for awhile then they probably ok and are being charged .

Go to the xantrex web site and you will find the manual for the 458 remote control panel there
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Couple of comments/questions:
6 house batteries? Seriously doubt that. Probably 4 house and 2 "engine" batteries. These are two independent systems receiving "charge" voltage from 2 sources which may be connected by an ADD ON SYSTEM sometimes called a B.I.R.D.
As you used the batteries "only" during recent boondocking and all appeared normal, doubt the batteries are "dead". Are they swollen looking?
Do you have a battery charger. Use it on the TWO systems and let us know the outcome.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your batteries are OK after filling a 12v battery charger would get them powered up faster than the inverter/converter.
If you have a BIRD System than having the shore power cable plugged in the Bird will keep them that way.
You only need with adapters 110 outlet to operate the converter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #12

So are you saying I should unplug from 20a shore power to check draw with a few lights on? Then plug back in to begin charging process? Should I remove caps on batteries while charging?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Should I remove caps on batteries while charging?
No.

Although if they have been way overfilled, it might reduce the amount of bubble-over during normal charging a little, but if that much overfilled a mess is inevitable.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What are the other lights on inverter doing? If the charge light is on, then your batteries are being charged. If the light is out, then you probably have a charger problem.

I would also check the age of your batteries. If they were "practically dry" and batteries are older than 3-4 years, you may have to replace them.