Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2004 Allegro gas doesn't charge the chassis batteries from shore or generator power as wired from the factory. I installed a small trickle charger on the chassis battery. It works great, I have had the trickle charger about 15 years, and this is the third motorhome I have installed it on. I have a 120 volt plug in in the front passenger side compartment, and just have it mounted and plugged in there, with the leads running forward about 5 feet and connected to the chassis battery terminals. I also leave the motorhome plugged in to shore power when it is parked at home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpoint
Has anyone added a Trik L Start to their gas coach? How does work for you and how hard was it to hook up?
Yes takes 5 mins. Black wire to neg coach battery, yellow to pos coach. Blue wire to pos chassis battery. It works perfectly!.... Wouldn't be without one!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #31

How did you run the wire to the chassis battery. On my MH, the house batteries are mid-coach, and the chassis battery is at the front of the coach.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Xpoint,
Concerning the wiring connections for a Trik-L-Start charging device, you might look to see if you happen to have a battery isolator that would have the connections you would need made easily available for you at one location. The Trik-L-Start brochure and installation instructions that I included on my yesterdays post (#25) of this thread may help to simplify how you can make the connections.

Hope that helps and Good Luck,
Yukon Jack
Old 02-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #33

Thanks Yukon. What does the isolator look like, and would it be located by the house batteries, or up by the chassis battery?
Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
When are you people going to stop espousing this out of date information. The last major MH manufacturer to produce a rig that does not charge the chassis batteries from the gen/shore power (via the converter) was Winnebago, and they corrected that in 2006 by installing a battery minder.

Most (very nearly ALL) manufacturers NOw have this feature as standard. Granted, there are a lot of older rigs that do not have this capability.
Mine is an 08 and has no battery minder! Why did I get cheated? I installed a Trik-L-Start and that solved my problem!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpoint
Thanks Yukon. What does the isolator look like, and would it be located by the house batteries, or up by the chassis battery?
I dont know your MH, but I did find out it is an A and it is suppose have an Aux Start switch. If so, then you have a solenoid that that switch controls. What it does is connect the coach and chassis batteries to give you enough power to start the engine if the chassis battery is low.

It should also be used by the 12v system to charge the coach batteries when the engine is running.

The center of this system is called the BCC, Battery Control Center. It will be close to the charger/coverter and the coach batteries. You should see a 12v circuit board and the fuses for the 12v system.

There you should see an automotive type solenoid. One side goes to the coach batteries (and possibly the charger also) and the other to the chassis battery.

If this solenoid and switch (usually on dash) is working, you'll hear it click when operating the switch.

If you get to this point and understand what I've said, you connect the Trik-L-Start to any ground, the yellow to the coach side of the solenoid and the blue to the chassis side.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but hopefully I've given you enough to figure it out.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #36

First time on RV Forum...Have an 01 Alpine with the same problem and found the battery boost would not help. I suspect chasis batteries are too low and probably too old to come back. Does this make sense?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pingrey
First time on RV Forum...Have an 01 Alpine with the same problem and found the battery boost would not help. I suspect chasis batteries are too low and probably too old to come back. Does this make sense?

Yes it sure does/could. If the Boost switch works, then it seems both chassis and coach battery(s) are low/dead.

You'll need to charge them both up good, then see what you have.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #38

I do know for a fact my 1999 Foretravel does not normally charge the chassis batterys from the charger when plugged in, unless the boost switch is in the on position. It does so through a 12V continous duty sol connected to the house battery bank.

If your chassis battery is going dead that quick, you eather have a bad battery or as op's said a draw of some kind that you need to find. Your motorhome chassies system should be just like your car as far a being able to sit without killing the starting battery. If you need or want to install a trickle charger Battery Tender in Deland Fla makes a very good automatic regulating one. It can be mounted near the battery but you will need a 110V source (recepitical) to power it from your shore power when you are pluged in which will require some electrical work.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Any battery charger, whether it's called Battery Minder, Trik L Charger, Smart Charger, Battery Charger or any other name it may be called NEEDS to be plugged into 120 VAC for it to work.

An RVer who has a coach with two different battery banks, House/Coach and Engine/Chassis, may need a device to keep all of their batteries fully charged no matter where they are or what they are doing.

If there isn't any 120 VAC available what are you going to do to keep your Engine battery(s) fully charged?

The answer is; buy a Trik L Start Battery Maintainer. It doesn't need to be plugged into any 120 VAC shore power.

Three simple wires to hook up. One to the positive terminal of your House battery, one to the positive terminal of your Engine battery, and one to a GOOD ground. Nothing to 120 VAC.

If your battery banks are located in separate compartments, then hook the Trik L Start up to your Battery Isolator Solenoid, which is the same as using the positive terminals of your battery banks.

Simple, easy, effective and you will no longer be inconvenienced with a dead Engine battery.

I have no personal interest in this company. However, it is one of the BEST and inexpensive devices to keep your batteries charged up.

I do not own one of these as my coach came with a Lambert Battery Maintainer. However, if that were ever to fail, this device will most definitely take its place.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #40

I have a 2011 Winnebago Sightseer V-10 gas. The chassis (motor) battery only gets charged when the engine is running. I installed the Trik-L-Start and am well pleased.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #41

I have an`04 Sea Breeze on the F-53 chassis and it charges the chassis battery on shore/gen. My buddy has an `04 Sea Breeze LX on the Workhorse chassis and his doesn't. Go figure.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=Dr4Film;1096485]Any battery charger, whether it's called Battery Minder, Trik L Charger, Smart Charger, Battery Charger or any other name it may be called NEEDS to be plugged into 120 VAC for it to work.

An RVer who has a coach with two different battery banks, House/Coach and Engine/Chassis, may need a device to keep all of their batteries fully charged no matter where they are or what they are doing.

If there isn't any 120 VAC available what are you going to do to keep your Engine battery(s) fully charged?

The answer is; buy a Trik L Start Battery Maintainer. It doesn't need to be plugged into any 120 VAC shore power.

Richard, with no 120 volt power source, and no solar, where do the the house batteries get the power to keep them charged? The Trik L Start is NOT a battery charger.

Tags
batteries, battery