Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #15
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
First: Visual on the battery does not indicate internal conditions.

Second: Somewhere in your little guy is a box called a converter.. IF you could please tell me if there is a label on the door, behind which are the circuit breakers and fuses (If they are behind the same door odds are the converter is bhind them) I'd like to know the make and model of that door in that case, this will tell me a lot.

Next to figure out the battery size, it is either printed on the battery or grab a ruler and measure it.. Then go to a battery maker's web site and see what is that same size.

Minor differences between a East Penn Group xx and an Interstate Group XX and a Trojan Group XX but they will all be close enough for you to nail it.

Also you will usually find 3 ir 4 batterues if tge sane suze,, IEL: 27R, 27F 27

All are group 27, the letter has to do with terminal placement.
To help a little with this:

The converter should be in the rear bedroom, near the floor. It should be a little "brown box with a door", and more than likely a Parallax 6300 series. Please locate and confirm the model by opening the door.

The rig should only have 1 house battery (should be a group 24), and 1 chassis battery. The house battery is probably located on the exterior of the driver's side of the rig. The chassis battery is under the hood. I have only seen one Leprechaun of this year with both batteries under the hood, so I guess that is a possibility too.

'87 Coachmen Leprachuan 27' on Ford E 350 w/ 460 cid, Hedman Headers, dual flowmaster exhaust
tekrsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #16
@tekrsq, and everyone else too...We have 1 house battery accessed by exterior door. and the converter is in the rear bedroom. Also the fridge is set up just like your tekrsq. I will give more information and answers shortly. We had an unexpected death in the family. Services are today so maybe later this afternoon or tomorrow I can give all the info. I did get a multimeter and I am planning on doing the voltage test described above. Thank you all so much for your help.

Herewegoagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
Hi sorry for the delay..here is what I have found...
Battery: Exide Marine Deep cycle 24-EV 120 RC 625 MCA...14 coming in when on shore line. I think the battery is crap! But it holds charge for lights for 36 hrs off shore so...
Converter: little brown box under my bed...Underwriters Labratories B-W Manufacturers Kokomo Indiana.
45 AMP converter w/battery charger
Input: 6.8 amps 120 VAC 60 Hz
Output: 45 Amps 12 vdc (3amp charge)
12 VDC fuse block max 20 amp fuse

It is a series 6300 A model 6345 UL
option package CLOGIA
Date code 427.
Herewegoagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #18
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your battery has at most 75 amp hours total, Being a "Marine/Deep cycle" the safe usage level is around 1/4 of that or Well let's be kind and say 25 amp hours (1/3 total)

The converter, 6300... Sounds like a Magnetek and the best thing to do is upgrade. I'm serious about that upgrade.

If you have the room consider a pair of six volt golf car bateries, those are a bit TALLER than the Group 24 you have now, but the pair of 'em give you 230 amp hours (nearly 3 times as much) and you can safely use 115 of those, (Which is more than the TOTAL enegery in your current battery) A Progressive Dynamics 9260 is a good converter for the pair go with a 45 or smaller if you do not upgrade the batteries.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
What is the best AGM battery to replace your old 6 volt lead acid batteries.
va7gcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #20
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said the battery lasted 48 hours.. Actually, that's not bad if the Motor home is occupied.

Oh, Cash Advance | Debt Consolidation | Insurance | Free Credit Report | Cell Phones at Heatherlands.com This is a music site, Heather Alexander and Alexander Jones, They might have an idea how long a battery should last in a Leprechaun though.

They lived in, I think a 30 footer for several years.

Alex is a Celtic Musician, does Science Fiction conventions and Ren Fairs. Heather is retired, Same business.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote