Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #1

House Battery/Deep Cycle Q/A??

Hi there we are brand new to RVing. We have a 1987 Coachmen Leprechaun 23. The Deep Cycle battery only last about 48 hours even if we are not using anything. Should it last longer? Should I begin looking for a short or a ground out somewhere. Anyone with any information would be great thanks. Also sorry if it is a dumb question...we are new and I am not sure how long a deep cycle battery should last. Thanks.
Herewegoagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig.

We've got some real electrical experts that hang out around here and I'm sure they'll chime in with help soon.

I'm sure they'll ask how old your battery is and if you've checked to see if it has water in the cells. Also, do you know what kind of charger you have in the coach, have you cleaned all of the terminal connections, etc.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you are not using it it should last longer. What size is the battery: And is it really a deep cycle or does it have the word MARINE on it (Marine is bad)

No matter the type

Group 24, about 75 amp hours
Group 27 around 90-95
Group 29 about 100
Gropp 31 130

Optima, 2/3 of the above per size.

Charge it, put an ammeter in the line, and see what the "All turned off" draw is.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Our RV (Brave) has a switch by the door that turns off the batteries that we accidental turned off so the batteries were not recharging. Now that we know that... we make sure that switch is always on.
Webetravelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Herewegoagin,
Assuming you have no measurement tools, consider taking the fully charged battery to your local auto parts store and have them load test the battery. If the battery test is good, purchase a tool that measures AMP draw. Consider a clamp on tool. These are the easiest to use. These tools can be combined with a volt/ohm meter.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #6

I'll try to answer all your helpful responses. The battery appears to be in great condition. It is very clean and the terminals are spotless. It does say "marine" on it. I have no idea what size it is but I will provide the info. I also do not know how it charges either. I know that when we first got the coach the interior lights did not work unless we were plugged into our house via the "shoreline". After being plugged in for a couple days we noticed the house lights would work while not using the shoreline but only for a short time.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
We have pretty much the same rig, just a little bigger. Sounds like your battery is probably shot. Mine can set for about 3 weeks before the battery dies. The LP gas detector is a parasitic draw.

Without the rig attached to a shoreline, the battery should be about 12v. With it plugged in, the battery should read about 13.5 volts. If not, you have a bad battery and/ or problem with your converter/ battery charger.

Check your voltages, get back to us. We'll take it one step at a time.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekrsq View Post
We have pretty much the same rig, just a little bigger. Sounds like your battery is probably shot. Mine can set for about 3 weeks before the battery dies. The LP gas detector is a parasitic draw.

Without the rig attached to a shoreline, the battery should be about 12v. With it plugged in, the battery should read about 13.5 volts. If not, you have a bad battery and/ or problem with your converter/ battery charger.

Check your voltages, get back to us. We'll take it one step at a time.
Thank you, and judging from your picture we appear to have the exact same rig! That would really be great. I will check what you told me and get back to you. When you say LP detector are you speaking of the control unit above the door? I'm just wondering so that if it is that I can isolate it. Thanks again.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Shouldn't be. LP gas detector should be at floor level as the gas is heavier than air. Needs to be at floor to be effective.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewegoagin View Post
I'll try to answer all your helpful responses. The battery appears to be in great condition. It is very clean and the terminals are spotless. It does say "marine" on it. I have no idea what size it is but I will provide the info. I also do not know how it charges either. I know that when we first got the coach the interior lights did not work unless we were plugged into our house via the "shoreline". After being plugged in for a couple days we noticed the house lights would work while not using the shoreline but only for a short time.
maybe these resources will help.:thumb

Batteries -- and Other Electric Stuff by phred

Electrical Tutorial
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Dan, thanks for the links. I have a hard time understanding all this electrical stuff. I don't even play electric guitars or mandolins.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

First, you are never "not using anything" when it comes to the battery(s). There are several circuit boards that are powered (even in the appliance switch says 'Off') and some detector alarms (LP and CO) and probably the motor driven entry steps and some other things. But is the visible things are turned off, then yes a house battery in good condition should last several days. Have you checked the water in the battery cells? How old are the house and engine batteries? Do you know if the battery charging system is working?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herewegoagin View Post
Thank you, and judging from your picture we appear to have the exact same rig! That would really be great. I will check what you told me and get back to you. When you say LP detector are you speaking of the control unit above the door? I'm just wondering so that if it is that I can isolate it. Thanks again.
If your rig is set up like mine, the frig is on the passenger side of the rig, directly beside the entry door. The LP detector is directly under the frig, on the panel. If you remove the detector, there is an in-line fuse (3 amp I think) directly behind it. During the winter, or if I plan to store the rig for an extended time without shore power, I simply take the fuse out.

Something else to consider later is the furnace. In mine, even if you turn the thermostat all the way down, the furnace will still automatically run if it gets down to that temp. There is a "switch" inside the thermostat that is supposed to turn it completely off, but mine does not work. Not a big deal for me, I just pull the fuse from the panel. But it is something to consider this winter when you put it up for storage.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: Visual on the battery does not indicate internal conditions.

Second: Somewhere in your little guy is a box called a converter.. IF you could please tell me if there is a label on the door, behind which are the circuit breakers and fuses (If they are behind the same door odds are the converter is bhind them) I'd like to know the make and model of that door in that case, this will tell me a lot.

Next to figure out the battery size, it is either printed on the battery or grab a ruler and measure it.. Then go to a battery maker's web site and see what is that same size.

Minor differences between a East Penn Group xx and an Interstate Group XX and a Trojan Group XX but they will all be close enough for you to nail it.

Also you will usually find 3 ir 4 batterues if tge sane suze,, IEL: 27R, 27F 27

All are group 27, the letter has to do with terminal placement.