Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
House Battery Issues - Newbie needs help!

Newby here. Just bought a 1997 Daymon Daybreak, my first RV. Got it through an estate sale. The previous owner passed away and thier kids don't know much about it. No books or manuals. So I need your help PLEASE!!

I hooked up to shore power and within a months time, I kept smelling rotten eggs. Yesterday it was so bad that I looked it up on line. Thought maybe it was my black tank. Turns out that both of my house batteries that are 10 months old are fried and needed to be replaced.

I am green, so please don't make fun of my lack of technical terms. My question is...what did I do wrong?? I was told to unplug the big dryer-like plug inside the RV that is supposed to work with the gennie, then plug in to the shore line, and hit the button for the Batterie Disconnect so that the button turns green. That is what I did...so why did I almost blow up myself, my dog, my RV and everything I own? I am a full-timer, so anyone who can help me with this make and model is a God to me!! Thank you in advance for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #2

It is probably your converter charger. On the older units leaving the 110 on usually fries the batteries. You will want to check the voltage coming off the converter and go from there. If you have a constant 13+ volts even when batteries are charged you will need to update the converter charger. The new converters have the trickle charge ability to keep the batteries charged without overcharging. The smell was definitely battery acid as sewer always smell like , well you should know.haha. Hope this helps and good luck

Old 05-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:59 PM   #4

I suspect the first major problem may have been dry batteries. Reasons for cooking off the water may be as already mentioned, an overly aggressive charging set up.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #5

You have to find your convertor / charger and get a manual for it.
Newer chargers have an automatic step down ( float) charging system to reduce the amount of charge going to the batteries, older unit like mine had to be set down manually to a maintenance charge. Or the batteries will boil dry. Don't ask how I found this out.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
My question is...what did I do wrong??
You didn't check the water level in the house batteries.
That should have been done the first thing after you plugged it in.
And they should be checked once a month.
Use distilled water to keep the water level above the plates.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
I suspect the first major problem may have been dry batteries. Reasons for cooking off the water may be as already mentioned, an overly aggressive charging set up.
Dry? Even though they were only 10 months old and have only been used for the past 30 days?
Old 05-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
You didn't check the water level in the house batteries.
That should have been done the first thing after you plugged it in.
And they should be checked once a month.
Use distilled water to keep the water level above the plates.
OK. I am really confused now by bad info. I was told NOT to open the batteries or put anything into them as it would void my warrentee! AAAHHHHHH!!!! LOL
Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Too much??

OK... being a single woman, maybe I took on too much trying to be a full-timer in this RV. Does anyone know of a class or something somewhere where I can learn all these things so I don't blow myself up? Can I take the house batteries out while I am hooked up to the shore line to keep this from happening till I can get this converter takn care of? I am very confused!!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #10

You are officially in the class. It is up to you whether you pass or not. Get tough and keep asking questions. Someone here will have the answers and actually guide you the right direction, even if you cannot do the work yourself. Hang in there. You can disconnect the batteries after you get set up and do not need the 12 volt systems so much(blew your mind again I know) and keep a check on the battery voltage to connect when they get down past 12 volts
Old 05-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
You are officially in the class. It is up to you whether you pass or not. Get tough and keep asking questions. Someone here will have the answers and actually guide you the right direction, even if you cannot do the work yourself. Hang in there. You can disconnect the batteries after you get set up and do not need the 12 volt systems so much(blew your mind again I know) and keep a check on the battery voltage to connect when they get down past 12 volts
Actually...I followed the 12volt vs 110 ok! LOL. Thank you everyone for all your help. Now...if I can just get that darn step to go back up when I want to drive!!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Sorry that you're having trouble already! You really would get much better results if you post questions over in the specific areas of the forum. Not many folks hang out here in the Welcome area. Maybe one of the Moderators will move your post over to the "Systems" area. Wish I could help!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf1267 View Post
OK. I am really confused now by bad info. I was told NOT to open the batteries or put anything into them as it would void my warrentee! AAAHHHHHH!!!! LOL
Hmmm ... look at the top of the batteries. Are there removable (twist off) caps? If not, then you may have the so-called "maintenance free" batteries or possibly gel cells. If you can take a photo and post it, we will see for sure.

Like has been suggested, there is probably a forum area here that addresses inverters, converters, chargers, and batteries. Honestly, I'm so new here that I've not had time to read a lot of stuff yet. I think with a little back and forth chatter from the experts here, you will be able to reach a comfort level where you will not be in the dark about battery maintenance, and charging systems.

Tags
battery, newbie