Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2011, 10:50 PM   #1

house battery overheating

The propane gas detector kept sounding. Turned off propane detector kept sounding. Finally found the house battery was overheating and was too hot to touch. The battery was not maintaining a charge before the weekend. Also lighting strike and at least one camper lost a TV. Should I start with the battery or converter looking for the problem? We have a 2002 Coachman class c>

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 11:05 PM   #2

If one battery overheats (over charges) that means that another is dead and the charger is trying to still charge it. Have all your batteries checked to see which one is bad. After locating the bad one, place the new one in the middle of the pack so it doesn't affect the rest and all charge evenly.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #3

We only have one battery in our class C
Old 07-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #4

Checking the batteries is a good place to start, They are about 8 years old if OEM. Just wounder if you have been keeping an eye on the water levels? I need to add (Distilled) water to mine about every 4 to 6 months.

Dick.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by radd226 View Post
The propane gas detector kept sounding. Turned off propane detector kept sounding. Finally found the house battery was overheating and was too hot to touch. The battery was not maintaining a charge before the weekend. Also lighting strike and at least one camper lost a TV. Should I start with the battery or converter looking for the problem? We have a 2002 Coachman class c>

Welcome!.....Let the battery cool before you add water if you can....lead melts and water will wash loose or hot lead off the plates,causing plates to short or sulfate...Check the voltage at the battery plugged in to power, should be around 13.8 Volts or higher if OK you may need a battery
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:10 AM   #6

If somebody has been messing with the coach wiring lately there's also a possibility that there's an unregulated wire from the converting leading (somehow) to that battery. As the wire is unregulated it would lead to full time charging - which would lead to a situation similar to what you're describing.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
If one battery overheats (over charges) that means that another is dead and the charger is trying to still charge it. Have all your batteries checked to see which one is bad. After locating the bad one, place the new one in the middle of the pack so it doesn't affect the rest and all charge evenly.
The OP has only one battery which needs to be replaced. The converter/charger is trying to charge a battery that is defective and will continue to boil the water.

If you do a forum search you will find that you should never replace only one battery. If you have two, replace both. If four, replace four.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by radd226 View Post
. If the battery got too hot to touch, the cell seperators are damaged and the battery should be changed.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #9

Thank you for the advice. We are going to the campground now to bring it home. I did not feel it was safe with the fumes so we came home last night, glad we were close for the weekend. I disconnected the battery and power just for safety.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! I agree that the battery is probably toast and you should probably replace it and take the voltage reading while charging as mentioned.

I'm not familiar with your coach... what type of inverter/charger do your have? If it is the Dimensions unit (like mine) they are notorious for over charging batteries and the AC current draw often times needs to be limited lower than the 25 amps which is the default setting.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery