Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #1

House toilet

I changed rv toilet to house toilet in MH. Everything working great. Do i still need to use chemicals?
michaelsnewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a trap, you will not have to worry about the odor from the toilet coming back through the bowl However, the black tank will contain solids and paper that may need to be broken down by chemicals to exit and not clog the black tank sewer hose. Most chemicals are designed to reduce odors either naturally or with scents and to break down both solids and paper for easier disposal down the sewer hose.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Could you explain you present situation. Like are you permanently set up in a park? Do you have a water connection to the city? etc.
I ask this because a house toilet uses a lot of water. If you still have your holding tank and don't leave the valve closed, you run the risk of building the old cement block in the holding tank.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Another concern is 'splash' while driving. A house toilet will have a decent amount of water in the bowl when you pull out of your site but most of that will be on your bathroom floor after a few sharp turns or bumps.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #5

Thanks Jim.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:16 AM   #6

My mh is 07 fleetwood excursion. use it mainly for winter months. i keep blk. tank closed. house toilet uses 1.28 gal. per flush. rv toilet i would dump about every 8 days, house toilet every 4 days. traveling i empty toilet tank about halfway down and no i don't lose any water out of bowl. the toilet is 1 piece aqua-source bought at lowes for 168.00. looks better and soooo much cleaner then rv stool.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Interesting ...I don't understand the comment about the house commode looking better and being "sooo much cleaner, "but then I don't know what came in the coach. Our porcelin Sealand Traveler looks as good as any commode, especially after I replaced the plastic seat with a standard oak seat. It isn't any less clean than any other commode we've had ...they all have to be cleaned from time to time. I do spray the bowl with Lemon Pledge after cleaning w/ a toilet brush ...that helps keep the bowl clean longer. If your RV toilet looks unclean all the time, try more water in the bowl before using it.

As for the question of needing chemicals now that the commode had been replaced, I would say you don't need chemicals ...and probably didn't "need" chemicals before either! Tank chemicals have nothing to do with the commode, so if you thought you needed chemicals before, you likely think you still need 'em!

...to each their own (whether it be commode, chemicals, & other religiously passionate items)
I reckon!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #8

I would image the RV toilet was plastic and the home style unit is porcelain.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our RV toilet is porcelain. And works fine.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Re chemicals - as explained eariler, their job is to break down the solids and to cover the 'scent' (with one that can be occasionally worse.) Breaking down the solids can be accomplished using the 'T Bone" system (he's an RVr out of Tucson who knows a lot about composting) He advises to add 2.5 cups of vinegar to each tank. That's it. Add more to the black tank for odor control every 3 days or so. Always start off with at least 1 gallon of fresh water after dumping.
Could not be simpler, nor less expensive. The shelves full of 'camper chemical' can't do any better, save to move cash from your wallet to theirs.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced the plastic cheap toilet with a porcelain one when it developed a leak, the new one was only $80 more than the part to fix the crappy plastic one. Much better toilet. Wih a home style toilet you dont have to worry about fumes, they have a built in P-trap.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If you needed chemicals before, you still need them now. Changing the toilet has no effect. But you probably did not need them before either. The holding tank works fine without them in most situations.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I have a 2002 Brave, came with the thetford Aquamagic IV. cheap plastic toilet, puh. replace it last season, with this one.
Aria Classic (w/ and w/o Water Saver)
A little pricey, and a little heavier, but worth all of it.

Kerry