Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I addition to all the good advice mentioned above, I installed the No-Fuss Flush in both tanks and they are serving me well. They are cheap to buy and very easy to install. I have put a clear piece of sewer pipe on my sewer outlets and I am therefor able to actually see the difference it makes flushing the tranks with these gadgets.

I still prefer watching TV but watching clear water pass is not bad and comes in at a close second

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
Fill both black and gray tanks about 1/4 full of water then put 2 cups of dishwasher soap like Dawn in each tank. Drive around for at least 20 mins. turning and stopping to slush the water around in the tanks. Dump and do it again it necessary. You can look down through the toilet with a flashlight to see if the black tank is clean. Worked for me.
This is a very good solution that has worked for many people. I would suggest driving farther, like from one camping to the next with the Dawn soap and you should be good to go!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I just love it - this topic always gets some folks blood surging. "I NEVER (or you should never) put XXX into my tanks!!" But never any scientific reason why. Guess they heard it from grandpa. Just to refresh - gauge mis-reads are generally caused by shmutz ( grease-waste material, etc) building up on the walls of the tank and also on the probes. The shmutz will conduct current just like if it was submerged. Clean all the shmutz off the tank walls and the probes, and you very well might have a working set of gauges (at least for a while). I have spoken with one of the manufacturers of tanks and he has never had a complaint with Ammonia or bleach damaging the tank itself. Bleach, however, will decompose any rubber it contacts if left in contact long enough. I wonder if grandpa knew that?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #18

There is a product that will clean your tank and sensors while it works. I have used it on many occasions to unclog RV black tanks. I use it on my own rig to keep my sensors reading correctly. It is called UNIQUE waste digester. The very best we've used and it really works.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 Forum
Bjsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Unique waste digester?

I just googled it and came up with a bunch of dogie-doo doo applications, but none for RV tanks. Which product do you use and where do you get it? This post wouldn't be an advertisement in disguise, would it?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #20

I buy it at a local RV Resort. The Boyle I have says www.unique.com on the back. It's called digest-it concentrate. I even use it in my septic tank.
No this isn't an advertisement I just wanted to pass along my experience with something I have used many times and had customers save lots of service call money when they would use this stuff and keep me from digging in their poop to unclog a tank.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 AM   #21

Look up RV Digest-it and the correct tank cleaner is described.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I finally found it - it sounds like a pyramid scheme, but in any case, why not just tell us that it's available at ACE HARDWARE!! It seems to have a bunch of names, I wonder why?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
NEVER LET AMMONIA AND BLEACH COME IN CONTACT WITH EACH OTHER!!! I'll let some chemistry major explain why, but it has to do with releasing chlorine gas, with possibly deadly results.
ABSOLUTELY!!! I'm not a chemist, but I cleaned out an entire drug store for four hours when I use this combo on a greasy floor. I was in high school at the time and working as a short order cook...the owner call me 'Mr. Chaos' from that time on. Don't do it! Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote