Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Post #19 here block heater on cummins He stated he called Cummins. As posted above.....the warmer the better!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #44

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. I need to break out the manual because I bet it gives me a good answer.

Since I hadn't used the block heater after buying the MH in January I plugged it in to verify it works. It does but man...you should see the power meeter spin when it is on. LOL

Some side bar questions to the thread...

1. Does the block heater have a thermostat to shut it off after the water reaches a reasonable temp?

2. I was thinking that one should be able to monitor the water temp through the dash temp gauge. Any reason that wouldn't work?

3. I would assume that if the temp gauge works as I expect that after water temp gets above 40* the engine will be very happy to start with less smoke.
Forgive me if I am incorrect, but my block heater heats the oil, and the other kind heats the coolant. they are standard equipment in all vehicles up here, (Except BC) and are designed for colder climates is the block heater in MHs different? (you mentioned heating the water) Also, there is no turn off, just unplug, I leave mine plugged in until I have to go somewhere., sometimes that is a few days...
just curious ...

Old 12-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snomas1 View Post
I never use mine and I have started @ 13 degrees in the morning when leaving a campground!
Let me see if I understand this...you don't use your block heater, even at 13 degrees F and you seem to be proud of that. Cummins and Cat both recommend that you should use it at temperatures a lot higher than that...but you don't.

I have a simple question...WHY?

You are doing a tremendous amount of damage to your engine every time you start it cold like this. Do yourself a BIG favor...learn when and how to use your block heater.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #46

I turn mine on before I go to bed if it's below 40 and I'm leaving in the morning, makes the old Cummins happier and easier ion the batteries and starter.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:04 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Merry Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
I turn mine on before I go to bed if it's below 40 and I'm leaving in the morning, makes the old Cummins happier and easier ion the batteries and starter.
Now that seems way to easy and makes way to much sense when it gets cold out Bruce
Old 12-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Just understand that at least one of the engine block heaters are power hogs...not a problem if you are hooked up, but if dry camping, they are going to drain the batteries. And, unplug, if your heater operates by plugging it in, before you depart. At least in our coach, the amperage draw exceeds what the alternator can support. JMHO, and what the techies at Spartan have suggested to me.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We travel mainly during the wintertime (snowbirds).

I can not tell you what is good or bad for the engine, but what I can tell you is that when it gets cold (close to freezing and colder) I can certainly clearly hear the difference when I have had the block heater on for just say 3 hours. It starts so much easier, and when I do have this facility I will of course use it.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Just understand that at least one of the engine block heaters are power hogs...not a problem if you are hooked up, but if dry camping, they are going to drain the batteries. And, unplug, if your heater operates by plugging it in, before you depart. At least in our coach, the amperage draw exceeds what the alternator can support. JMHO, and what the techies at Spartan have suggested to me.
My block heater is not on an inverter outlet, it is only powered by shore or generator.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Big myth. Everything is submersed in liquid and so the element is nearly as hot as you think it is.
The instructions for my ZEROHEAT FREEZE PLUG HEATER state:
"DO NOT RUN YOUR ENGINE WHILE THE ENGINE
HEATER IS PLUGGED IN. This will create an air
bubble around the element which will then cause the element to burn out prematurely".

See "Avoid Common Engine Heater Installation Mistakes" in this pdf:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...v.58187178,d.a

Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat
Old 12-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
Forgive me if I am incorrect, but my block heater heats the oil, and the other kind heats the coolant. they are standard equipment in all vehicles up here, (Except BC) and are designed for colder climates is the block heater in MHs different? (you mentioned heating the water) Also, there is no turn off, just unplug, I leave mine plugged in until I have to go somewhere., sometimes that is a few days...
just curious ...
We are From Canada as well and have been using block heaters for the last 40 years. Typical block heaters heat the coolant which heats the block which warms the oil. My own thoughts on this, if temp gets down toward 35 degrees or lower I warm the engine prior to startup, it doesn't take long and a warm start is always better for your engine than a cold start.Warm fluids circulate better, lubricate better and remove contaminants better. I have experienced times where a car would barely turn over at 30-40 below, plug it in for an hour and it fires immediately. jm2c
wydeglyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #53

I use a regular house timer on my engine heater. If leaving the next day, I set it to come on a few hours ahead of time.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wydeglyde View Post
Typical block heaters heat the coolant which heats the block which warms the oil.

jm2c.

Can you explain how that might work? All my oil is down in the sump 2 minutes after shutdown. The sump is 6" below the block and is exposed on 5 out of 6 sides by frigid air with nothing but a relatively (to the block) thin piece of stamped sheet metal connecting it to the block.

Now if you had an immersion oil heater, or stick on pan heater I'd go along with it heating the oil, but a block heater won't.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Yes it does....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Can you explain how that might work? All my oil is down in the sump 2 minutes after shutdown. The sump is 6" below the block and is exposed on 5 out of 6 sides by frigid air with nothing but a relatively (to the block) thin piece of stamped sheet metal connecting it to the block.

Now if you had an immersion oil heater, or stick on pan heater I'd go along with it heating the oil, but a block heater won't.
On the contrary.......Your oil will be kept warm due to the "temperature inside" the block due to the hot coolant, the internal temp. around the cylinder walls, crankshaft area is warm and in turn warms the oil up and keeps it at a temp. that allows your engine roll over easier on cold starts.
If your coolant is 120 deg. from the block heater being on the inside of your engine will also be warm, along with the oil.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
On the contrary.......Your oil will be kept warm due to the "temperature inside" the block due to the hot coolant, the internal temp. around the cylinder walls, crankshaft area is warm and in turn warms the oil up and keeps it at a temp. that allows your engine roll over easier on cold starts. If your coolant is 120 deg. from the block heater being on the inside of your engine will also be warm, along with the oil.
Apparently nobody told the Cummins in my Sicard snowblower that. I just went out to check, the ambient temp. Is 32 F. right now, the coolant temp. is 112 F. and both the outside of the oil pan and the oil on the dipstick (according to a proven accurate IR thermometer) is 37 F.

For giggles I also checked the 7.3 PS in my truck, the coolant is 118 F. and the oil pan is 35 F. so apparently the heavier pan on the Cummins does make a little difference.

With either engine though I can't see 3 or 5 deg. F making a hill of beans of difference.