Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #1

How cold is too cold?

We are planning on taking the new MH out this weekend, but the weather is turning cold. It is forecast to be down into the mid 20s at night, am I going to damage the MH? It does have tank heaters, but what about the water lines? I am sure others have camped in the cold and would have some tips for us. This is the shake down cruise for our new Georgetown.
Thanks
johnnyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wink

You shouldn't have a problem with the temperature. The heat from the MH will keep the lines from freezing. If you kill the heat I'd be MORE concerned that you'll freeze versus the MH.
Gary
Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Winterize While using:
In the 20-30 degree range should be ok if you maintain heat in the cabin. Most MH's provide some under belly heat.

I wrap the outside hose with quality grade pipe insulation and run a heat tape along the inside of the pipe insulation next to the hose. Then I use some black duct tape (gray will do :-)) every 8" or so. The heat tape (Water Pipe Heating Cable) is avail at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Cost is: ~$30.00 for an 18 ft. heat tape. It comes on about 35 degrees and shuts off about 45 degees.

Get the better grade pipe foam insulation. I think it's the 1" you'll need and it comes in 6 foot sections. Buy 3 or 4:: have extra

Extra heat tape is good for inside the compartmen.. Don't let the heat tape touch itself since this can cause a "Hot Spot" and melt.

Some people add a heater to the plumbing area compartment, I use a 50 watt light bulb for a little extra heat.

We have been down in the single digits and teens many times and I have not frozen up.

Check underneath for exposed plumbing. Hot water may freeze up, but it's likely the cold going into the hot water tank that froze.

Open inside cabinet doors to plumbing areas if it gets really cold.

You won't need to worry about the sewer hose unless it gets really cold and there is standing liquids in it.

Oh... Use only a high quality water supply hose. Cheap drinking water hoses will eventually blowout and the heat tape could melt it.

I bought a good drinking water hose from Camping World:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rine-hose/6019
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi John,

My assumption is your Georgetown has no exposed plumbing under the coach.

Consider keeping your first trip simple. Because of the cold weather, fill the coach fresh water tank and use the tank water. Depending on how many are in the coach, for a weekend trip you should have plenty of water. This also checks out the water pump and all the self contained plumbing in the coach. It also gives you the "opportunity" to take "Navy" showers. Make sure your propane tank is full. Use the furnace during the day when you'll be out sightseeing. If your furnace has a fan in the basement, make sure to turn on the fan. This will allow furnace heat to be distributed into the basement. This is usually located in the utility bay. If you have 50 AMP CG power and you have time to buy a couple of small (1000 -1500 WATT) electric heaters, please consider doing that. You can use the heaters at night to keep the coach comfortable and save on your propane.

As you get ready to leave the CG, you can dump your tanks at your site or the CG dump station.

Good luck with your new coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Angry

Batman has a good suggestion, and warning, about the heat tape. As a retired firefighter I cannot count the number of trailer fires I responded to due to improper heat tape installation! You do not need to have every square inch of the pipe covered with the heat tape. Where people go wrong is they wrap the pipe with the heat tape touching itself. This can lead to some very serious consequences!!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #6

Thanks for the tips, they were all very useful.
johnnyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote